Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Library Thing Tuesday (21) + Pic of Emmy

For this week's Tuesday Thingers, Marie copied the list of the most-challenged books of the 1990s straight from the ALA website. We are supposed to bold what we've read, and italicize what we have in our LT libraries.

I've read 29 of them (8 of them for school) though not all of them are listed in my LT library since I have mostly catalogued books I've read in the past few years.

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
Forever by Judy Blume
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Giver by Lois Lowry

It's Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Sex by Madonna
Earth's Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard
The Witches by Roald Dahl
The New Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein
Anastasia Krupnik (Series) by Lois Lowry
The Goats by Brock Cole
Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
Blubber by Judy Blume
Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan

Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier
Final Exit by Derek Humphry
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
What's Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Pigman by Paul Zindel
Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
Deenie by Judy Blume
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)

Asking About Sex and Growing Up by Joanna Cole
Cujo by Stephen King
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
What's Happening to my Body? Book for Boys: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Sons by Lynda Madaras
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Crazy Lady by Jane Conly
Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher
Fade by Robert Cormier
Guess What? by Mem Fox
The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Native Son by Richard Wright
Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women's Fantasies by Nancy Friday
Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
Jack by A.M. Homes
Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya
Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
Carrie by Stephen King
Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume

On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge
Family Secrets by Norma Klein
Mommy Laid An Egg by Babette Cole
The Dead Zone by Stephen King
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
Private Parts by Howard Stern
Where's Waldo? by Martin Hanford
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Running Loose by Chris Crutcher
Sex Education by Jenny Davis
The Drowning of Stephen Jones by Bette Greene
Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts
The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
The Terrorist by Caroline Cooney
Jump Ship to Freedom by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier


I actually planned to read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 by this week in honor of Banned Book Week since it's about a dystopia where books are banned and burned in fear that citizens will think for themselves. But I am way behind on my reading due to the fact that I've lots of visiters in the past weeks and more work than usual.

I finally got around to watching The Lives of Others, a German movie about the extreme censorship in the DDR (East Germany). I can't believe it took me so long, but it is so worth watching (yes, I even teared up at the end).






And now, the Emmy story and picture of the week:

We were in the kitchen eating lunch and tidying up when we realized we hadn't seen Emmy in a while. She normally hangs around in the same room we're in, especially when we are eating. So we were looking for her and calling her name... and guess where we found her bathing herself?

Zoom out a bit... and you see she wasn't thrilled about being disturbed!



19 comments:

Alea said...

That's the best picture yet! HAHA! The Lives of Others is pretty good. Especially the ending.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks Alea - I always think there is no way she can keep on doing such cute things ... but she does!

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your pictures of Emmy. Keep 'em coming.

Traci said...

I'm pretty obsessive about checking and rechecking the dryer when I do a load of laundry. I am so terrified a curious kitty will have climbed in while I wasn't looking.

jlshall said...

Wow, I'm surprised our kitties never thought of hanging out in the dishwasher - it looks like a perfect place for washing oneself! That photo is adorable and scary at the same time.

Amy said...

I loved The Lives of Others! And I also love Farenheit 451. And your cat. :)

Melissa said...

I love Farenheit 451. Love the Emmy pics!

Serena said...

your cat is a riot!

Micol Ostow said...

Hi Lenore:
I just wanted to let you know that you've won a copy of MODELS DON'T EAT CHOCOLATE COOKIES via my blog fest. If you send me your mailing info we'll get that out to you asap.

Best,

Micol
micol at micolostow dot com

Lisa said...

Oh, if I had a dishwasher, CoCo would surely be in there. I also have to watch out for her when I'm putting away clothes - she loves dresser drawers. Do you know what a cat sounds like when they're stuck in your underwear drawer? I do!

Kathy W said...

Lenore that is such a great pic. My cats will crawl into anything also. I have never understood why they need to crawl into places like this.
Kathy

Darlene said...

I so look forward to the adventures of Emmy. How cute is this! You really have to keep an eye on her, that's for sure. She's so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Many of the ones I have read were for school too.

Cute kitty, once one of my cats jumped up on the washer. The lid open and he fell in with some water and clothes. He's never done it again :-)

The Budgeting Diva said...

Looks like we read a lot of the same books as kids. I love Judy Blume,

Anonymous said...

Once again I scrolled to the bottom to see Emmy, THEN went back up and read your Tuesday post! :)

I highlighted a number of the same books as you - "classics" I read in school or kids' books. I looked into why some of them were banned and wrote about that on my post.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos!

MySharonAnne said...

oh how cute!

Literary Feline said...

What a great place to bath! Haha Love the photo!

Steve said...

That cat is lucky someone even noticed it there.