Thursday, October 23, 2008

Book Review: To the Power of Three by Laura Lippman

Best friends Josie, Perri and Kat go into the bathroom at their high school. Shots are fired. One emerges with a minor injury, one with a life-threatening one, and one is dead. What happened is the mystery at the heart of this riveting thriller.

After What the Dead Know, I was excited to read another thriller by Laura Lippman. This one had wonderful character development – I really got to know the three girls as well as a great many secondary characters (such as the huffy, hypochondriac school secretary, rendered so well in just two short scenes). It was well paced and very readable. BUT – and this is a giant but – the reveal is just lame, which is a big letdown after getting so into the story. It’s hard to recommend any book that has an unsatisfactory ending, but for a thriller, it’s especially problematic. If a subpar ending to an otherwise well written and exciting story doesn’t bother you, go for it, but if it does, you might want to steer clear.

4 comments:

Alea said...

That first paragraph reminds me of the movie, Life Before Her Eyes. It was pretty good.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I know what you are talking about, the one with Uma Thurman. I want to see that!

Alea said...

Yeah! Hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've read any of Laura Lippman's books - I always enjoy them when I read them.