Sunday, June 20, 2010

Book Review: This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas

Olivia Peters is overjoyed. Her writing has caught the eye of a famous author/priest who wants to be her mentor. At first, Olivia is so starstruck by her writing idol, she never says no when he suggests getting together to work on her story, even when these meetings become more and more frequent. Soon though, Olivia feels overwhelmed by his attention and starts getting the feeling that his intentions may not be as honorable as they appear.

Intense. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think about this novel. The atmosphere is heavy and foreboding, even at the beginning. Thanks to a prologue that starts in media res, the audience is already wary of Father Mark at the start of chapter 1, even as Olivia is excited to make his acquaintance.

I really liked how the introduction of Jamie as a love interest for Olivia underlined the fact that something was very wrong with Father Mark. Olivia’s scenes with Jamie are as lighthearted and care-free as her scenes with Father Mark are oppressive.

My only real criticism with the book is the handling of the climax and conclusion. The wrap-up is perfunctory, which robs us of a really cathartic release after such an involving narrative.

THIS GORGEOUS GAME is now available in hardcover. Find out more about it at the author's blog.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

This definitely sounds intense!

Amy said...

Wow! That last sentence...I don't even think I could write something like that.
I was so busy and distracted that it took me five days to read this book and must have missed that!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I agree with you about the ending.

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like quite a page turner!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Amanda - Indeed!

Amy - I read it in one sitting, so I was tuned into everything ;)

CI - I'm glad someone does.

Kathy - It is!

Liviania said...

I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds really interesting. Although I do get annoyed at books with lame endings.

Zibilee said...

I also hadn't heard of this one, but it does sound like a really good read. I like the fact that it has a really solid ambiance to it as well. Great review, this is one I want to read!

Meg @ write meg! said...

Really need to get my hands on this one! I just saw another review -- I think Steph Su's? -- and can't wait to read it!

BookChic said...

I just finished reading this one yesterday and, you're right, it's just so intense. It's one of the very few books that has made me tear up while reading it. I was having lunch at work and almost cried because of how heartbreaking those final chapters were. Amazing book. You wrote a wonderful review!

Jennifer said...

This sounds like a really interesting book. I always enjoy books about writers and writing.