Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Review: Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins

After his father’s arrest for allegedly being an enemy of Burma, Chiko wants to find work so he and his mother can pay the rent. Lured in by an ad looking for teachers, Chiko finds himself captured and forced into army service. There he’s going to need more than book smarts to survive…


Meanwhile, Tu Reh lives in a refugee camp for his tribal people in Thailand after being driven out of Burma by the Burmese army. He’s full of anger and ready to fight back. But a life-changing encounter shows him that fighting is not the only solution.

I featured this novel as a WoW pick back in May because the people of Burma have a special place in my heart (read the post and see my Burma vacation photos). Theirs is definitely a story that begs to be told, and Perkins does so wonderfully with sympathetic characters and an involving plot.

Burma’s current situation is full of tragedy, and the story reflects that – from forced conscription, to low literary levels, landmines, unfair imprisonment, torching of tribal villages and many other atrocities. However, these are balanced with truly touching moments of unlikely friendships forged, good deeds, and hope.

What more can I say than this is a novel everyone needs to read?

BAMBOO PEOPLE is available now in hardcover. Find out more about it at http://www.bamboopeople.org/

11 comments:

Book Bird Dog said...

Thanks for telling us about this book. Seems very worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a book I will need to read. Thank you for reviewing it!

bermudaonion said...

I agree - everyone needs to read this book - it's fabulous!

Dwayne said...

Very interesting book - I agree with your thoughts about Burma, though I must also say it's not the only country in that situation.

Staci said...

I just got this one the other day for my school library. I knew that I had to read it!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I have this one on my TBR. I am going to save it for a day that I can really spend time and attention on it. I think it's going to be an emotional read. I'm actually hoping that it will be a good whole-class read. It'd (potentially) be perfect for my world lit course. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Heather Zundel said...

"You have to read it" pretty much sums it up in my book. :) Maybe if you bold it? :) I loved this book. It was one of my favorite reads this year.

Zibilee said...

I have been reading a lot about this book and all the reviews have been great. I bet this is is something that I would really like. I also think it's cool that it tells an important story about a place that is often neglected in literature.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this

S. Krishna said...

This one's on my shelf, I really really need to get to it!!

joanna said...

I don't think I've ever read anything set in that part of the world - thanks for your review, the books sounds very interesting.