Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2011 Debut Author Challenge + Results from 2010

Woo-hoo! The YA/MG Debut Author Challenge (hosted by The Story Siren) is one of few challenges I actually rock.  The goal is to read 12 in one year.  In 2010, I've so far read 33 (although 6 didn't count b/c I read them in the wrong year).

My list of completed reads for 2010: (browse through my debut reviews)

1. The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg
2. All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab
3. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
4. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
5. Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
6. The Line by Teri Hall
7. Dark Life by Kat Falls
8. Birthmarked by Caragh O’Brien
9. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
10. Back Home by Julia Keller (YA debut)
11. The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter
12. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
13. Forget-her-Nots by Amy Brecount White
14. Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
15. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
16. Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready (YA debut)
17. Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
18. Nomansland by Lesley Hauge
19. Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony
20. The Unidentified by Rae Mariz
21. Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
22. Losing Faith by Denise Jaden
23. Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales
24. Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler
25. The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
26. Nightshade City by Hilary Wagner
27. The Space between Trees by Katie Williams (added Dec 2010)

Read in 2009 (don’t count towards challenge)

1. The Naughty List by Suzanne Young
2. The Mark by Jen Nadol
3. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

2011 books read in 2010 (don’t count towards the challenge)

1. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
2. The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher (YA debut)
3. Enclave by Ann Aguirre (YA debut)

Strange fact: All debut books I read in 2010 (save 1 - The Water Wars) were written by women!




And here's a list of the books I am planning on reading in 2011 (bolded if I own book already)
 
1. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

2. XVI by Julia Karr
3. Rival by Sara Bennett-Wealer
4. Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison
5. The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney
6. Possum Summer by Jen K Blom
7. Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach
8. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
9. End of the Line by Angela Cerrito
10. Bumped by Megan McCafferty (YA Debut)
11. Momento Nora by Angie Smibert
12. How I Stole Johnny Depp’s Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain
13. Divergent by Veronica Roth
14. Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari
15. Dark Parties by Sara Grant
16. Legend by Marie Lu
17. Dead Rules by Randy Russell
18. Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
19. Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
20. Choker by Elizabeth Woods

I'm sure I'll add more as 2011 goes on. Are there any YOU know of that I am missing from my list that I MUST read?  Let me know in the comments!

20 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Way to go! Good luck with the 2011 challenge!

Michelle said...

Wither is a fantastic read!! Truly!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm participating for the first time this year. Looking forward to what you have to say!

Julie Anne Lindsey said...

I absolutely LOVE that you do this, and I plan to follow your lead! Now, I'm off to make my 2011 wishlist!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! I haven't done all that well with this challenge, but it might be salvagable depending on how much reading I accomplish during the Thankfully Reading Weekend. We'll see.

the story siren said...

thanks so much for joining the challenge again this year, Lenore!! Here's hoping for some fantastic reads in '11!! Good luck and happy reading!

Sara said...

Hi! I'm thrilled you're planning to read RIVAL. I hope you like it!

JKB said...

I particularly like number 6!!!!

:-D

Shelley said...

Certain dark undertow to that title list....

Lenore Appelhans said...

Shelley - I haven't actually done a lot of research into all the titles, so mostly this list is made up of dystopians that I am aware of and books from people I know!

Jo Treggiari said...

Thanks so much for including Ashes, Ashes on your to-read list. Hope you enjoy it!

Emy Shin said...

I'm definitely thinking of joining the challenge, as the majority of books I read this year were debuts. :)

I'm glad you have LEGEND on your list. That's my most looked-forward-to book of next year!

Darlene said...

Congrats Lenore! That's awesome.

Emma (the Expat) said...

An excellent reference...I will totally steal some titles from these lists when I go to the bookstore/library! Thanks a lot for this post and good luck with the 2011 challenge!

Meytal Radzinski said...

I actually find it quite fascinating that all of last year's books are written by women. Does it mean that more women are getting published, or does it indicate that the young adult genre is dominated by women? Or can it simply be a matter of personal taste?

It's most likely just an interesting observation you made with no hidden meaning behind it. I hope you enjoyed the books and good luck next year!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

That is a great challenge! I have to be way more picky this year for the ones I choose to do... I am so far behind on updating them I have no idea if I rocked anything other than the 100 books this year challenge.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I wonder how many debut novels I read this year. I'd bet it's more than I've read any previous year. I'll have to think about joining that challenge for next year.

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, I would kill (like KILL) for Beth Revis's book right now. I'm jealous you've already read it.

Unknown said...

I really want to join this challenge but I'm having a hard time planning ahead! I may have to do another fake challenge and just keep track as I read. How do you review so many books?

Lenore Appelhans said...

TBL - I didn't really think I reviewed all that many books. But as to how I do it...I just try to write a review when I finish with a book to organize my thoughts about it. It's really why I started to blog about books, to be able to process them better.