Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Club Report: Three Cups of Deceit by Jon Krakauer

Our hostess for May's book club chose THREE CUPS OF TEA by Greg Mortenson for us to read - before the scandal erupted over alleged falsehoods in both of Mortenson's books and mismanagement of his charity CAI.  I was the sent the young readers version for review when it first came out, and read a few chapters back then.  I recall finding it a bit off-putting that Mortenson's co-writer engaged in some serious hero worship when it came to Mortenson, but I was looking forward to picking it up again and discussing it with the group.

But before I could even pick back up where I left off, I heard about Krakauer's 70 page expose THREE CUPS OF DECEIT (more info at Byliner.com) and I decided to read that instead.  Krakauer paints Mortenson as a good intentioned man who bought too heavily into his own myth.  It's a fascinating read with heartbreaking allegations. 

Naturally, the group didn't end up discussing Three Cups of Tea itself as much as we did the scandal.  I found it an especially enlightening discussion because the hostess and her husband (both of which were present) both come from Pakistan and were able to share insight into the cultural background there.  They also made excellent food and milk chai tea.  Yum!

I should probably also mention that I didn't finish the club's last two picks. In April we discussed THE SLAP by Christos Tsiolkas.  I got through two chapters before I threw the towel in because of the excess vulgarity. I did love our discussion though.  One member described it as middle class Melbourne residents who behave like gangsta rappers and have unhealthy fixations on bodily fluids.  Pure gold!

The March pick was THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN, of which I read about half.  It wasn't bad, I just ran out of time.  And now that the end is spoiled, I'm in no big hurry to finish.

And that's all for this month's report! Next meeting in June ...

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

My son read Three Cups of Tea in his class so I was really intrigued by all the scandal. Shame really. I had heard really good stuff about The Slap and have it on my shelves. And Racing in the Rain would just have reduced you to a blubbering mess like me, so unless you want a really good cry, it is best you didn't finish it.

bermudaonion said...

That scandal is sad. It's my understanding that his charity did some good so there was really no reason to lie.

Staci said...

I think it's horrible about the book deceit and whether or not he really did half the things he claimed he did.

I did however get a huge kick out of the way your bookclub described Slap!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

I know nothing of the first two books but I know I've loved Krakauer's other stories so I'm sure I'll get around to it! I feel like I was (until, this moment) the only person who couldn't get through The Art of Racing in the Rain so I thank you for that. ;O)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I read THREE CUPS OF TEA a few years ago with a book club and was so inspired I introduced my students to Pennies for Peace, the children's fundraiser associated with Greg's organization. We raised almost $500 dollars for children in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I had such respect for this man and organization and am heartbroken.

I know I need to read Krakauer's DECEIT (I've read all but one of his books -- he's brilliant), but I can't get myself to do it yet.

Zibilee said...

I have heard a lot about this book and the scandal, and really want to read it and get the scoop on what it's all about. I can't say that I've been too tempted to read Three Cups of Tea though, because even before the scandal, I had heard some pretty negative things about it.

Lisa said...

The scandal is very sad and it's also puzzling - do people really think that in this day and age, they can get away with it? There is so much easy access to information, you ought to know you're gonna get caught.

I adored "The Art of Racing in the Rain." It isn't something I would usually read, but I was also a blubbery mess at the end, even though I knew what was coming.