Monday, April 2, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: Scarlet by AC Gaughen



Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today I'm featuring SCARLET, a retelling of the Robin Hood legend told from the perspective of Scarlet, a very independent young woman posing as a boy.




SCARLET is a novel full of action and intrigue, but also a (very) slow-burning romance and lots of heart.  But my absolute favorite part of the novel is Scarlet herself. She is grumpy, bad-ass, and full of surprises - and I absolutely love her.

The sheriff is, of course, up to no good, and Scarlet does her best to help Robin and his gang keep the people of Nottingham out of harm's way. But then this horrible guy from her past, Gisbourne, shows up and complicates matters even more - because Scarlet has a deep dark secret (I love dark secrets and her's is wow).

After you meet Scarlet, you might be asking "Maid Marion who?"

Now, let's chat with AC!



What is your favorite scene in the book?
There's this scene when Scarlet is about to run off and try to prevent something bad from happening--mostly likely at great personal sacrifice--and Rob stops her. They start fighting, both physically and verbally, and they end up confessing their darkest secrets to each other. I *love* it!


What is your favorite line in the book?
Honestly I love the first line: "No one really knows about me." I'm big on first lines and I've never rewritten it from the very first draft.


What setting was most fun to write?
The forest scenes were a ball. Scarlet is kind of like a flying squirrel--she can leap from branch to branch and scurry across the top of the forest with fearless abandon. To write that felt like fantasy but also real enough because it got to the core of her character. And it was just plain fun to imagine.


Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?
I would really like to write a spin off of all John's conquests forming a secret club or something like that. I actually love all his ladies!


What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?
My twelve year old cousin talked to me for about an hour at a family party about how cool she thinks it is that I wrote a book and she detailed her extensive plans for the movie. I have a really big family, so feeling like the cool cousin is actually kind of amazing.

Thanks AC!

SCARLET is available now.  Find out more about it at the author's website.

FTC disclosure: I picked up a copy at the Frankfurt Book Fair.

5 comments:

Christina said...

What do I love about Scarlet? Everything! This was a new fav as soon as I read it.

Now I just need a copy for my shelf.

Zibilee said...

The cover is so striking, and I, too, love books that feature characters with secrets. I need to read this one for sure. Thanks for the great interview and review today Lenore!

Celine said...

I loved Scarlet! And the first line is awesome (: Great interview, I'm very much looking forward to AC's next book.

Ali B said...

Scarlet sounds great! I love a bad-ass, especially a girl bad-ass! I'll add this one to my Debut Author Challenge list. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

I loved Scarlet!! It had everything I love in a story!