Thursday, May 24, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman



Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today I'm featuring BOY + BOT, an adorable picture book written by Ame Dyckman and illustrated by Dan Yaccarino. And yes - there are several picture book author Apocalypsies too, didn't you know?



So, Boy meets Bot one day and they have fun together until Bot's power switch gets turned off and Boy thinks Bot is sick. He takes him home and falls asleep and then Bot's power switch get turned on and it's Bot's turn to worry about Boy. Eventually they get things sorted out and learn important differences about each other.  

The story is clever, original, and fun.  And the language Dyckman uses is deceptively simple but conveys so much of the characters through voice. I loved it!  The illustrations are also very amusing. My favorite may be Bot reading to Boy from an instruction manual - and funnily enough, it's also the author's favorite scene in the book - as you will learn from my interview with her below. 


Welcome Ame!


So I've already given this away in my review, but what is your favorite scene in the book?

I love when it’s Bot’s turn to take care of Boy, and Bot cradles Boy in one arm while he reads Boy an instruction manual. Dan’s illustration is perfect—funny, but also a very sweet moment.


What is your favorite line in the book?

I adore our catch phrase (“Affirmative!”), but my favorite line is when Bot sees the sleeping Boy and asks, “Did-you-malfunction?” (I know it’s goofy of me, but I have to suppress giggling every time I read it!)


What setting was most fun to write?

The Inventor’s Castle! I’d love to have an Inventor’s Castle at the top of the hill in my neighborhood.

Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?

Watt! He’s the little light bulb robot who helps the Inventor. (He was Dan’s idea during the illustration phase, so he doesn’t have a name in the book, but I call him Watt.) During readings, I show kids the picture of Watt on the dedication page, and then we play “Spot Watt” as we read the book. Kids love Watt! (He’s mighty charismatic for someone with one eye and no other facial features!) It would be great to see Watt in another BOY + BOT adventure, or even in his own adventure someday.


What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?

At a recent school visit, a Kindergarten class presented me with a packet of their BOY + BOT drawings. That was the greatest! Well, until I got something in my eye. (No, I wasn’t crying! I… I just got something in my eye!) ;)

Thanks Ame! BOY + BOT is available now.  Find out more about it at the author's website.

FTC disclosure: I bought my copy.
  

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This book looks adorable to me!

Zibilee said...

Oh yes, I have to agree with Kathy that this book is absolutely adorable, and the question: Did you malfunction? also makes me giggle. What a great book about learning the differences between two very different creatures! Loved this review and interview!