Thursday, October 18, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: If I Lie by Corrine Jackson



Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today I'm featuring IF I LIE, a YA contemporary set at the end of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" era.



Quinn lives in a military town - branded the town slut after being caught kissing a guy other than her boyfriend, Carey, who is serving in Afghanistan.  If Quinn told the truth about her relationship with Carey, things might be easier for her, but out of a sense of honor (he asked her to keep his secret), she stoically bears the daily abuse rained down upon her by her classmates, Carey's family, and her own father (still reeling from Quinn's mother leaving him for Quinn's uncle, his own brother).

Because of its subject matter and themes, IF I LIE has a certain gravitas to it, but Cory's writing is so smooth and lovely, you'll feel like you're devouring chocolate rather than kale. I could completely sympathize with Quinn's struggle to define honor in light of her ruined reputation, her estranged relationship with her "fallen" mother, and her sweet friendship with an elderly war veteran. Her promise to Carey cost her so much, and yet she holds on to her integrity. Heartbreaking!

And now, here's Corrine!

What is your favorite scene in the book?
There's a scene in on of the latter chapters that breaks my heart. Every time I had to edit it or work on it, I cried. I don't want to describe it because it might give too much away, but suffice it to say that I think you'll know the scene when you get to it. The scene actually made me ache to write it.

I know exactly what you are referring to. Heartbreaking! What is your favorite line in the book?
"The only company Carey and I had were the cicadas rattling like a thousand rusty watches being wound." I didn't know what cicadas sounded like, and I listened to a lot of YouTube videos to get to that sentence. It's a simple thing, but there are some descriptions that you really have to work for.

That's so cool! I did that with bats for my book 2. What setting was most fun to write?
The hospital was so much fun to write. I'd been to a VA hospital and the hospital in IF I LIE became a combination of that place, the Fayetteville VA Hospital (based on online research) and imagination. I think the hospital was fun to write because George was there, and any scene with George was one I loved to write. Plus, the hospital was a haven for Quinn, and I liked how it became a second home for her.

Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?
George is my favorite supporting character, but as an old Veteran, he would never get his own spin-off book. However, I had an epilogue planned for IF I LIE that I decided not to write. It felt like a book unto itself. I would love to do a sequel from Blake's perspective someday. Fingers crossed.

What about George as a teen? That'd be fun! What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?
I think my favorite part was the call where my publisher made an offer. That day was so incredible. A close second would be the day I saw my cover and the book started to feel real. I couldn't believe it was happening and every step toward the actual book felt like getting pinched. In a nice way.

Thank you Cory!  

IF I LIE is available now in hardcover. Find out more about it at the author's website.

FTC disclosure: Bought

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you for the interview! I think it's a lot different than the books that I usually read, but I think it'll be interesting!

I love your quote "you're devouring chocolate rather than kale" because it's very picturesque!

M.A.D. said...

If I Lie looks & sounds like something I'd really enjoy - this may sound cheesy, but I'm truly grateful for all the reading pleasure & joy that good books/authors bring to my life! <3

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

If I Lie does go down smoothly despite its heavy subject matter; I like your comparison to chocolate!