Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (28) Hot September 2009 YA Books

This week, I want to discuss (in some detail) four September 2009 titles that I am especially excited about: Liar by Justine Larbalestier, The Everafter by Amy Huntley, Candor by Pam Bachorz and The Silver Blade by Sally Gardner.


We already know that September is going to rock - HARD. There's Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games follow-up on the 1st (my most coveted book of the year, but then you know that), The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson also on the 1st, Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted on the 7th, The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement Moore on the 8th, Give up the Ghost by Megan Crewe on the 15th, The Long Wait for Tomorrow by Joaquin Dorfman on the 22nd and Going Bovine by Libba Bray also on the 22nd. And so many more.

And there are even more to be excited about! Read on...


The Silver Blade by Sally Gardner. Penguin. September 17, 2009.

Why I want to read it: This is the follow-up to The Red Necklace which I really enjoyed. (Read my Red Necklace review).

Summary from amazon:

A mysterious boy is the focus of a novel that takes us from the September Massacres of 1792 to the death of Robespierre four years later. After rescuing Sido, the young daughter of an aristocrat, Yann flees to England, making secret journeys back to France to smuggle out refugees. He and Sido fall in love - but then she is kidnapped, and he needs all his courage and skill to rescue her a second time. Even then the young lovers are not safe, for our hero learns who he really is, and how can Sido marry him?



Candor by Pam Bachorz. EgmontUSA. September 22, 2009.

Why I want to read it: Just the kind of high concept I love. First caught my attention at this post on Shooting Stars Mag.

Summary:

Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.

Liar by Justine Larbalestier. BloomsburyUSA. September 29, 2009.

Why I want to read it: Sounds like a very cool spin on the unreliable narrator technique. And it has an awesome cover.

Couldn't find a summary anywhere except for this little tease from Jenn H.'s early review at Oops... Wrong Cookie:

Micah is different. She has always been a loner and freely admits to being a liar, but when her secret boyfriend dies mysteriously, her whole life comes under scrutiny. Now she plans to tell you the truth, the whole truth......or so she says.



The Everafter by Amy Huntley. HarperTeen. September 29, 2009.

Why I want to read it: I am always fascinated by novels set in the afterlife. Though this one looks something straight out of my nightmares. First caught my attention at Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf.

Summary:

Madison Stanton doesn't know where she is or how she got there. But she does know this--she is dead. And alone, in a vast, dark space. The only company she has in this place are luminescent objects that turn out to be all the things Maddy lost while she was alive. And soon she discovers that with these artifacts, she can re-experience--and sometimes even change--moments from her life: Her first kiss. A trip to Disney World. Her sister's wedding. A disastrous sleepover.In reliving these moments, Maddy learns illuminating and sometimes frightening truths about her life--and death.

So - do you agree that September is going to be awesome? Which book are you MOST excited about? Did I miss anything?

As always, Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

41 comments:

Steph Su said...

WOW. September IS going to be awesome, and thanks for letting us know about these great books!

BookChic said...

I'm excited for Liar and I actually just got a copy yesterday of The Everafter (though on the ARC it's still called The After, lol). I also have Miles Between.


The Silver Blade looks really good too.

Khy said...

I'm DYING for Give Up the Ghost, Liar, and Crazy Beautiful.

Tasha said...

Liar sounds interesting. After reading Henry James's The Turn of the Screw a few months back, I'm intrigued by the idea of an unreliable narrator.

prophecygirl said...

September is going to be amazing. I'm most excited about Catching Fire!

Kate said...

They all look really good. Is it wrong to love the guy on the Candor cover?
:P

Vanessa said...

CATCHING FIRE!!! EEEEEEE

Sorry, got a little excited there. I absolutely cannot wait.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I'm so excited about September too. Liar sounds FAB and Candor too, of course, and Something Beautiful (just can't wait) and just yeah, great month. :)

chrisa511 said...

Oh no :/ Not more books to put on my wishlist!

Alea said...

Ooooh yes September will be glorious!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Well it looks like I'm gonna have to start up a piggy bank especially for the Fall YA - Candor, Liar and Everafter look awesome!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for these novels!

Anonymous said...

I am super excited about The Silver Blade. LOOOVVEEEDDD Red Necklace. This is the first I've seen the cover. Makes me even more impatient. ;)

Anonymous said...

One more thing regarding your interest in books set in the afterlife...you should check out Jo-Jo and the Fiendish Lot by Andrew Auseon. After Jo-Jo dies he follows the band The Fiendish Lot, the hottest thing in the afterlife, and learns what it means to be dead and to be alive. Just finished it though haven't posted a review yet. Good, especially if you like afterlife stories.

Amy Huntley said...

You got me totally excited about these books. Now I'll have to read both THE RED NECKLACE and THE SILVER BLADE. I love reading about The French Revolution. And LIAR looks fascinating to me.

Jen said...

Liar and Everafter look really good!

Anonymous said...

Definitely looking forward to Catching Fire, and now also The Everafter -- thanks for posting about this one. It sounds great!

Also, The Magician's Elephant, by Kate DiCamillo (an awesome storyteller and one of my fave authors), is due out Sept 8.

Christina Farley said...

Oh yeah. September is going to be awesome. Can't wait to read these!

Nancy said...

Ohhh I know that September is soo gonna rock...and you named all this books that I want. Catching Fire...AHHHHHHHh!! ohhh and not to forget Demon Princess by Michelle Rowen and Intertwined by Gena Showalter...

Erika Powell said...

I think Candor looks so good. I can't wait for Sept.! all great choices though.

Liviania said...

I've wanted to read Liar since JL talked about it when she came to Austin. (She talked about how hard it was to remember the book she was promoting when that was what she was working on!)

Candor looks really cool.

PJ Hoover said...

I am looking forward to LIAR. It sounds way cool!

Rebecca Herman said...

I want The Silver Blade! It's coming out in England sooner (I think May?) and I want to order it from there but then it won't match my copy of The Red Necklace. I guess I can always buy two copies of it haha. I love books set in that time period.

Lenore Appelhans said...

James - Lucky you! I have absolutely no YA contacts at HC - which is ironic considering Daniel is being published in the children's division.

Charley - Turn of the Screw is amazing. So much atmosphere!

Kate - NOT wrong :)

Joanne - I'm starting my piggy bank now!

bookworm - I took a screenshot of the penguin catalog and then photoshopped it. I'll have to check out Jo-Jo. Thanks for the tip.

Amy - Thanks for stopping by! I really need to talk to you at some point about your book!!

Sharigreen - YES! Can't believe I forgot that one. Very excited too.

Silvia said...

I can't wait for candor. I think it looks different to any other YA book I've read so far, so I'm really excited about it. I'm waiting for Liar, Everafter, and Crazy Beautiful as well.
I'll check The Red Necklace cause it sounds interesting.

Marie Cloutier said...

Looks like a great fall for YA books!:-)

Thao said...

I wish it was September already. I'm most excited about Crazy Beautiful, then come Liar and Candor.
And I want to read the Hunger Games and Catching Fire too.

: )

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for including CANDOR in that amazing list. I will be hosting ARC giveaways soon on my blog, keep an eye out!

As for the hot guy on the cover--wish I could bring him to author events, I bet I'd get triple the crowd! LOL.

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

September is going to be an amazing month! I'm coveting Catching Fire as well!

Melissa said...

I love afterlife books too. I'll have to keep my eye out for The Everafter.

-.- said...

I agree, September looks like it's going to be great! I especially like the cover and teaser for Liar, it looks really good...so good that I really want it now.

Thanks for letting us know about these titles Lenore!

~ Popin

Darlene said...

They all sound great but The Everafter is one I'll be looking out for. I love anything based in the afterlife.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lenore, there is an award for you at Merry Weather, stop by when you have the chance to pick it up : D
Enjoy.

BevE

Rebecca Herman said...

Ravenous Reader - I agree, Intertwined looks like another good one!

A couple other September books I want to read are Betraying Season by Marrisa Doyle, Hannah by Kathryn Lasky, and the new Jacky Faber book, Rapture of the Deep.

Yvonne said...

Sounds like September will be a great month!

Unknown said...

Must.Get.2nd.Job!!!

Staci said...

September sounds like it is going to be a great reading month. I love all of the covers!! They're getting pretty good at what sells aren't they?

Jen said...

I've got an award ^_^ come pick it up

Ladytink_534 said...

There are a few books that are supposed to come out around that time that I'm looking forward to but none that I can remember off the top of my head.

Zibilee said...

The Everafter sounds amazing, as does Liar. Now I really want to get my hands on them too! Thanks for this update!

Shakespeare's Muse said...

Aw, man.... Why am I not a millionaire?

Also, The Hollow comes out September 1st. And OMG--The Silver Blade! I've only been waiting for that for like, A YEAR! AAAAAAH!

And, naturally, Catching Fire! EEEEk! Whoo Hoo for September, my new favorite month! But seriously, why aren't these books out now?? :'-(

Heheheh. Just kidding. :-)