Thursday, December 10, 2009

Book Review: Gone by Lisa McMann

This is the third and final installment in the dream catcher series that includes WAKE and FADE. My recommendation is to read all of the books together if you can (I had a 10 month break between books 2 and 3, and was lost for the first few chapters of GONE). If you haven't read the first two books yet, please read my review of those titles and skip this one so you don't get too spoiled!

After finding out the terrible consequences of being a dream catcher, Janie has a big decision to make and everything points towards isolating herself from everyone including her beloved Cabel - that is until a chance meeting with an important stranger makes her realize that her choice is even more horrible than she could have ever imagined.

So does anyone think this book can have a happy ending with a set-up like that? I know I caused a furor over on Goodreads the other day when I described this installment as "bleak and depressing". But hey, I call them like I see them, and although there is a "happy end" of sorts, the story itself is still ... yes ... depressing as hell.

GONE is very much about Janie making her decision about her future and the other characters, even Cabel, fade very much into the background. We see a lot of Janie's inner turmoil and the plot centers around Janie and the stranger that suddenly enters her life. It's not quite as exciting or eventful as the first two novels, but the resolution seems logical (if brutally so).

GONE will be released in hardcover on Feb. 9th, 2010. Find out more about it on the author's website.

15 comments:

Staci said...

I can't wait to read this one!!! I loved #1, was a tad disappointed in #2, and now you've got me filled with anticipation to see what she chooses!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I really need to get with it and read this series!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

EE!! GONE! i love this series, I still have 2 read fade*covering eyes* lol

Anonymous said...

I need to read Fade. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Rhiannon Hart said...

I loved the first one. I might read 2 and 3 together.

By the way I gave your kittehs a shout-out in a recent post :) http://rhiannon-hart.blogspot.com/2009/12/dear-agent-part-iii.html

Ladytink_534 said...

Yay! As soon as this comes out I'm going to sit down and read them all. I've been waiting patiently through the praise of everyone for this :)

Donna Gambale said...

I really enjoy this series, and I'm intrigued by your review! Can't wait to read the final book.

bermudaonion said...

I think I'd have to be in the right mood to read this - I don't usually enjoy depressing books.

Tabitha said...

I've been looking forward to this book. I think I will probably enjoy it better after reading this, since it will get my mental compass pointed in the right direction. :)

Thanks for the review!

Thao said...

Depressing? Hopefully I can handle this. I still need to read Fade though. You make me feel so curious about Gone already.

BookChic said...

You're right. It was hella depressing to read, but I still enjoyed it. It's definitely an interesting ending to a wonderful series. Great review!

nomadreader said...

Can I mention AGAIN how jealous I am that you've already read this. I liked Wake, loved Fade, and I can't wait for Gone.

prashant said...

really need to get with it and read this series

Work from home India

Bella@BeguileThySorrow said...

I really want to read this book; loved the first 2!

S. Krishna said...

I need to read the second book in the series before this one comes out!!