Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Waiting On Wednesday (41) Upcoming Dystopian Fiction Sequels

As anyone who is at all familiar with the book blogosphere knows, the 3rd Hunger Games book, due August 24th, got a name (MOCKINGJAY) and a cover. I like the cover progression. It all looks very hopeful, no? (#teampeeta!) No summary as of yet, but we do know there won't be any ARCs *sobs*




The US version of Patrick Ness' 3rd book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, MONSTERS OF MEN, got a cover this week too. It's due Sept 28th in the US (and May 3rd in the UK).



I also just pre-ordered my signed copy of Carrie Ryan's THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES, companion to THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH (read my review of TFOHAT) which comes out March 9th. You can read a teaser excerpt on Carrie's website.




WIRED, the third book in Robin Wasserman's Skinned series comes out Sept. 14th. While I have my problems with the series (read my reviews), I still can't wait to see how it concludes. (Gotta love the tagline on this cover too!)




James Dashner's follow-up to THE MAZE RUNNER, called THE SCORCH TRIALS is set to drop October 12th. Megan from Po(sey) Sessions attended his reading of 2 chapters of TST at LTUE so if you really need a hint of where the series is going...ask her!


Next Wednesday, I'll preview some more upcoming dystopian fiction - standalones or new series.
Meanwhile, check out this great post by Diana Peterfreund on the definition of dystopias. I especially like this part:
If the idea of fantasy and science fiction is about holding up a mirror to real world issues, it helps if you can recreate the entire world of your story around that particular real-world issue. Do you want to talk about genetic engineering creating unfair class differences? Gattaca. Do you want to talk about ideals of beauty? Uglies. Privacy? 1984. Free will? Candor. Censorship? Farenheit 451. Third-world exploitation and getting desensitized to televised violence? The Hunger Games.

Like a scientist, the author of a dystopian work of fiction creates a set of very particular conditions within which he runs his human experiment.


And of course Publisher's Weekly's recent article - Apocalypse Now - about the popularity of YA dystopias is not to be missed.

23 comments:

Tabitha said...

Wow, no ARC's of Mockingjay? There's going to be a stampede on release day! :)

I am really looking forward to The Dead-Tossed Waves, too. And I just finished The Maze Runner, so am looking forward to the sequel.

It's a good thing I'm a patient person, or I'd be tearing my hair out with all this waiting. :)

Allie said...

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't read Hunger Games. I really need to get on that!

Melody said...

So sad to hear there will be no ARCs of Mockingjay! August seems like a long time!!

bermudaonion said...

I was hoping the book launch of The Dead-Tossed Waves would be here, but it doesn't look like it will be. The book store that hosted the launch of The Forest of Hands and Teeth is closing. :(

Darlene said...

I have yet to read the first Hunger Games let alone the third one but everyone sure seems crazy about the series.

Tia said...

I'm never on top of new releases, so I usually don't have any books I'm waiting for, but the three books that are on my list are Mockingjay, Monsters of Men, and Scorch Trials. I didn't think anything could make me more excited than the third Hunger Games, but after reading The Ask and the Answer.... I think Monsters of Men has taken the top slot!

Unknown said...

I pre-ordered Mockinjay! I want it! I now have to go and order Dead Tossed Waves - Happy Bday to me - it's only one day before!

Jenny said...

Monsters of Men has a lovely and frightening cover. WANT WANT WANT.

Charlotte said...

Have you read The Carbon Diaries, by Saci Lloyd? Its sequel comes out in a few days, and I'm looking forward to it!

Staci said...

It doesn't surprise me that dystopian is hot! This is a fave genre of my 15-year old son Marc. He eats these up fast!

April (BooksandWine) said...

Oh man. I want them ALL!

Patti said...

I'm terrible at finishing series, but both Hunger Games and the Chaos Walking series have me seriously dying to read the next installments. I don't blame them for no arcs, they've built up the anticipation and people are going to buy the books. I think it's great!

Readingjunky said...

I enjoyed seeing all three HUNGER GAMES cover together like that. You are right - the progression does seem to suggest a hopeful outlook. Nicely done.

RJ

chrisa511 said...

I'm so excited about these!! Especially Monsters of Men...just finished The Ask and the Answer and I can assure you that I'll be getting the UK version of that one ;) Can't wait until September!!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Thanks for sharing, Lenore! I've only read The Hunger Games(I have Catching Fire here but haven't read it yet). I need to look into the two other dystopian series you've mentioned. Thank you so much for sharing the links, I will head on over and read the article and the post now.

caite said...

how out of the loop am I that I just this week got to the top of the list at the library for "Cathching Fire"..had no idea about the name of the third...and still have the Maze Runner in my TBR pile?
Well, at least I willnot to wait too long until the third id released.

oh well...lol

Sandy Nawrot said...

It's almost more anticipation than my little heart can handle. Mockingjay is going to have to be a pre-order situation...I do not want to be involved in a stampede!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I am really looking forward to The Dead Tossed Waves.

TERI REES WANG said...

For some odd reason I have been holding out on the Suzanne Collins collection. I better get on board fast, now that it looks to be whole.

Michelle said...

I want Monster of Men to come out... NOW!!!

Also, I'm glad you said the Mockingjay cover being blue makes it sort of hopeful to you. Personally, this one is not my favorite (I was hoping for a nice gold cover) but, that made me rethink my opinion.

Nayuleska said...

Wired looks pretty good. Mockingjay looks awesome (have yet to read book 2)

Michelle said...

**sings**

Mockingjay!!

That Diana Peterfreund is one smart cookie isn't she?

Zibilee said...

I am so excited about Mockingjay!