Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book Review: Earth the Book by The Daily Show Writers



At the BEA author breakfast back in May, I got to hear Jon Stewart talk a bit about this book -a guide to the Earth and the human race for the aliens that will inevitably find the barren wasteland we leave behind. We were also treated to a short, printed excerpt that produced a ton of giggles between Daniel and me.  Fast forward to the September release date.  We were at Watermark Books for Daniel's Buffalo book signing and saw a copy and had to get it.

Strangely, while the content structure has stayed pretty much the same, the jokes have mostly been changed. They are still giggle-inducing - just different. Be aware this book may not be for everyone (there is a naked picture of Larry King among other NC-17 content) but if you're not super sensitive and you like The Daily Show's brand of irreverant humor, this is one that will keep you laughing for days.  It would also make a great last minute Christmas gift!

Check out the book's website, where you can apply to be reconstituted when and if the aliens who find Earth decide to repopulate the planet.

6 comments:

Misty said...

Ooh, this is the first I've seen of this. Definitely need to pick this up for perusal. :)

Jamie said...

I think this looks hilarious but I was wary to pick it up without knowing anyone else who had read it! Might have to take a look at this one.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Jaime - I can vouch for its' hilarity! It's a hit with our guests too :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to start looking this one over. I got it though, because I love Jon and his team! Glad to hear it's good. :-)

-Lauren

Zibilee said...

I have heard people say that this one wasn't as interesting as America, but I actually think that this book would be more to my liking, as I find the subject matter really intriguing, and also, John Stewart is my boyfriend, so you know, I can't pass this one up. Great review, Lenore. I am glad you had such fun with it!

Liviania said...

I enjoyed America: The Book and thus want this one. But they usually show up on clearance shelves eventually, so I'll probably wait.