Monday, February 27, 2012

Author Interview: Gennifer Albin previews Crewel

For my spotlight on upcoming dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction series, I interview authors with novels coming out in the genre in 2012/13. These are exclusive first looks at exciting new works. Enjoy!



Genn Albin is here today to preview her upcoming debut CREWEL.  It's coming out Oct 2012 with FSG.

Here's the summary:

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.  
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.  
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.  
Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight. 
Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.  
Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back. 
ETA the cover:



And the interview:


Why do you think people are drawn to “dark” stories?
I think it's human nature to consider the worst case scenario, as if imagining it will prepare you if it actually happens. Dark stories are a natural extension of that. They allow us to explore strange worlds from the safety of the page.

If CREWEL had a theme song, what would it be and why?
That's really hard, but lately I've been digging the song "Make a Move" by Icon for Hire. My husband met the band at work and pointed me in their direction. But I've always felt "Rabbit Heart" by Florence + the Machine was an excellent theme song too.

What fictional character from another book would your main character chose as her best friend and why?
You like to ask hard questions!

What are your top 5 Dystopian lit recs and why?
1. The Hunger Games - The dread that novel elicits within the first chapter is palpable. I couldn't stop reading until I was through all three books.
2. The Handmaid's Tale - I've always enjoyed this particular story because of it's unflinching look at how far humans will go to propagate the species.
3. Matched - This novel has its strengths and weaknesses, but I found Cassia's journey of discovery compelling.
4. Memoirs of a Survivor - I read Lessing's novel in college and I'm still thinking about it. It was one of the books that truly initiated by interest in women's studies.
5. Brave New World - The book is so ahead of its time. It was my first experience with dystopian fiction and its had a lasting impression.

What's on the top of your to-do list before the world ends?
More travel. I'd really like to go abroad. If I could I'd buy a boat and just start saling, but it would scare my mother-in-law to death. She's scared of pirates. No joke.

How does your book stand out from others in the genre?
Crewel isn't straight dystopian, it has sci-fi and mystery elements. But I think the setting of the world, which is sort of a futuristic Mad Men world, is what really sets it apart.

Thanks Gennifer!

______________________

Follow Gennifer on Twitter: @genniferalbin

4 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm so excited about Genn's book. It sounds so unique. Can't wait to read it.

Robyn Lucas said...

Can I squee now over Crewel? I'm so excited to get it in my hands!!!!

Zibilee said...

Another book that I just have to read now! I love that there are so many unusual concepts coming out these days, and that so many of these books are fascinatingly different. Books were just not as interesting when I was a teenager :)

roro said...

Can't wait to read it.