Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dystopian February 2012 Kick-off + HarperCollins Prize Pack


It's here: the 5th in a row of dystopian theme months that began in Feb 2010 to spotlight dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction. If you plan to participate with me this month, grab the Dystopian February badge above or from my sidebar and put it on your blog, linking to this kick-off post.

Now I'm pretty inclusive in my definition of dystopia/post-apocalyptic lit, so you'll find a wide range of books, including some occasional books with very limited dystopias. Thanks to the explosion in popularity of the genre, publishers often market books as dystopias which really aren't - in which case I will alert you to that fact in my review.

ETA: (recap of week 1) (recap of week 2) (recap of week 3) (recap of week 4) (recap of week 5)

So what's in store this month?

Reviews of over 20 dystopian novels, past, present and future. (Refer to my index of dystopian reviews for latest updates and past reads) Every Thursday, I'll do an in-depth joint review of a book with Michelle from Galleysmith. NOTE: In a policy change, I'm giving each book I review a merit badge in one of the following categories: World-building, Action, Romance, Twisty Reads, and Great Writing (see the merit badges here - they are ADORBS! and read more about the philosophy behind the merit badges here) so if you know you prefer world-building books over all else, you'll know which titles to look out for.


Interviews with more authors releasing an upcoming dystopian which give you an exclusive preview of these upcoming books. Each author answered the same six questions and shared a song to add to the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist I've been compiling. See my index of author preview interviews from August 2011 including MY interview about my forthcoming book LEVEL TWO.


Plus - TONS of book giveaways, a preview checklist and weekend round-up posts to catch you up on anything you might have missed.


Speaking of giveaways, HarperCollins US has generously donated one prize pack of dystopian YA books. All you have to do to enter to win is read and review at least one dystopian or post-apocalyptic novel during the month of February and then link to your review via a google form below (if you review it on your blog or GoodReads because you don't have a blog). Challenge and contest is open worldwide (if a non-US resident wins, I will receive the prize & forward it on to you), so get reading!


Here are the books you could win:


Divergent by Veronica Roth (my review) (add to Goodreads)
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (my review) (add to Goodreads)


Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (my review) (preview interview) (add to Goodreads)
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows (my review) (preview interview) (add to Goodreads)


Eve by Anna Carey (my review) (add to Goodreads)
Once by Anna Carey (add to Goodreads) (NOTE: You will get the finished hardcover in July 2012)


Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin (preview interview) (add to Goodreads) (NOTE: You will get the finished hardcover in May 2012)
Partials by Dan Wells (add to Goodreads)



The above link takes you to a google form.

The above link takes you to a google spreadsheet.


I'll be posting at least once a day usually at midnight (Central European Time) and sometimes at noon (CET). If you don't want to miss anything, consider following my blog or subscribing via a feedreader. Thanks! I hope you enjoy this month as much as I am enjoying putting it together!


Tweet me! @lenoreva The official twitter hashtag is: #dystopianfeb Let's talk dystopian :)

15 comments:

Charlotte said...

Looking forward to this!

And I'm already reading my first dystopian of the year--The Whisper, by Emma Clayton.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

I love this feature so much; excited! I'll definitely review more dystopian in February. I've never heard of Masque of the Red Death but it looks intriguing and I've been meaning to read Shatter me, so this will give me the perfect excuse, haha. Looking forward to the rest of Dystopian February!

//off to grab a badge

Kailana said...

I must say all those books covers together like that look so pretty for what is essentially a depressing theme... I will have to see if I have anything dystopian to read for it. In the meantime I look forward to your posts!

Zoraida Cordova said...

yay! i love the dystopian chicken :)

Unknown said...

This is my favorite genre, I am really excited!

Zibilee said...

Love that Dystopian month is back, and can't wait to read your posts and interviews! I also love the badges!

Brynn said...

This is perfect timing. The English teacher in my school (I'm a librarian) is working on a dystopia unit with the senior class. This will be a wealth of resources and maybe we can get them all to join Goodreads, do reviews and enter the contest!

Heather Zundel said...

Partials is in here? Must have. Now I have to think of an unknown Dystopian I could review...

Lenore Appelhans said...

Great idea Brynn!

Nella said...

I´d love to enter the competition, but I have a swedish bookblog and therefor write all of my reviews in swedish. Could I participate anyway or would I have to write it in english?
The prize pack seems great, by the way. I´m especially courious for Partials

Lenore Appelhans said...

Nella - Could you write the review in both English and Swedish?

Nella said...

Of course :)

Stacy said...

I am excited about this because I am just finishing Monckingjay and Delirium and am very excited about dystopian YA literature (having been a fan of adult dystopian literature for years).

the imagine tree at aol dot com

Vivien said...

Absolutely LOVE this genre. My favorite. Love this feature and month!

awkwardly anonymous said...

Wow this sounds awesome!! I just restarted blogging and now write reviews for dystopian young adult novels. This contest is perfect for me!! All of these books look interesting and I really hope I win!! Thank you for this contest and thank you for dedicating this month to dystopian novels!!