Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill



Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today I am talking about MEANT TO BE a YA contemporary about a girl who goes on a class trip to London and finds romance in unexpected places.



Let me begin with a story: JUST A LITTLE BIT LOST is a book which has really stuck with me since my childhood.  In it, the main character gets lost on a school trip with the popular boy she has a crush on and once they have the chance to really get to know each other, they fall in love.  Perfect teen fantasy, right?

MEANT TO BE has a similar vibe. At the beginning of her trip, responsible, studious Julia (nicknamed "book licker") is not interested in Jason.  He's too irresponsible - and most importantly, he's not her MTB ("meant to be"), a designation she's given another boy who didn't come to London.

But -- Julia's teacher puts the two of them together as travel buddies, forcing them to interact regularly. Jason convinces Julia to go to a party with him, she meets a bunch of hot guys and ends up with a texting flirt over the next few days.  Jason offers to help. But is it really Jason that Julia should end up with?

There are so many fun scenes throughout the novel as Julia opens herself up to new experiences off the beaten path. And obviously I adore books about foreign travel and think there should be more of them.

And now, let's chat with Lauren!

What is your favorite scene in the book?
I love the initial interactions between Julia and Jason, particularly when he's inviting Julia to the party. I love their banter.

What is your favorite line in the book?
There's a joke about Czechoslovakia (actually in that same scene from the last question) that is awesomely nerdy, and I was so jazzed that it made it into the final manuscript.

What setting was most fun to write?
Writing all the locations in London was so fun, but I enjoyed writing the scene in The Tate Modern the most. I had a good time virtually exploring and learning about various pieces as research.

Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?
Sarah Finder is a great character, because there's so much more to her than meets the eye. I can't say much more without giving away spoilers, but I think she'd make a sassy narrator in another book.

What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?
Seeing my cover for the first time was the best. Heather, the designer at Random House, truly hit it out of the park. It's really eye catching and unlike anything else that's out there. I couldn't be happier with it. I wish I could pass on even half the compliments I've received. THANKS HEATHER!!!

Thank you Lauren!

MEANT TO BE is out in hardcover now. Find out more about it at the author's website.

FTC disclosure: Netgalley

5 comments:

Christina said...

Oooh, I will need to be adding Just a Little Bit Lost to my list, because I LOVED Meant to Be.

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed this one too. :)

Sarah Laurence said...

I loved MEANT TO BE too. Terrific review and interview. Mine is coming next week. I'll have to check out JUST A LITTLE BIT LOST.

Zibilee said...

I've read a lot of positive buzz about this book, and I am more than a little interested. The class clown was always the one who I fell for, so I can sympathize with the main character a wee bit. Excellent review and interview today!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I read it and really, really liked it! It was a busy and exhausting week for me, but cuddling with it in bed was exactly what I needed to relax :)

Born Bookish said...

I am so in LOVE with this book!! It's one of my favorite books of the year! Thanks for the interview, you asked some really great questions. I'm definitely going to look into "Just A Little Bit Lost."