Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Blogger Convention Scholarship! Apply Now!

One of the ways I've decided to celebrate my book deal is to offer a book blogger scholarship to the 2011 Book Blogger Convention in New York City on May 27th.

Are you a book blogger who would love to go to BBC and BEA but you just can't afford it? Then this merit/need based scholarship for 1 free BBC/BEA admission (worth $120) + $500 towards expenses is for you!






Qualifications:
You must be 18 or older (per BEA rules)
You must be a book blogger with at least 20 posted book reviews as of March 30th, 2011
You must not have already registered for BEA and BBC (no refunds allowed)
You must attend BBC on May 27, 2011 to pick up your prize money
You must fill out this form by April 13, 2011 and explain why you should be chosen to attend



All qualified entrants will be reviewed by me and Michelle (co-organizer of BBC). We will choose 10 finalists and draw one name at random as the winner. The winner will be informed by April 20, 2011.

FAQ:

Why are you doing this?
I cannot stress enough how much book blogging helped me grow as a writer.  I studied Journalism in college and I’ve worked for over ten years as an advertising copywriter, but writing fiction is a whole different ballgame.  Over the past 3 years, I’ve read hundreds of YA novels and thousands of book blogger reviews. It has really given me a feel for what works and what doesn’t in terms of structure, pacing, characterization, dialogue and other craft issues. Also, the support from the community – from both authors and bloggers – has been invaluable in building my confidence and getting me to go for it. And I would love to give something back to the community!

I already registered for BEA (via free press registration) but at this time I can't afford to stay for BBC. Can I still apply for the scholarship?
Yes. Please mention this when filling out the form.

If I win the BBC scholarship, can I also attend BEA?
Yes. Your BBC registration also registers you for BEA.

Where can I find out more about the speakers and panels at BBC?
At the BBC website.

If I win, what can I use the prize money for?
If you win, you can use the prize money to pay for transportation, lodging and meals. Unless otherwise arranged with me, the winner will receive the $500 in prize money in cash on May 27th at the BBC.

Who is donating the prize money?
I am.

Is the scholarship open to international bloggers?
Of course.

Any other questions?  Ask them in the comments!

38 comments:

Amanda said...

Like I said on twitter the other day, this is a fantastic thing Lenore and you're so generous to offer it. Hell if I wasn't traveling the week before (which means I simply CAN'T go to BEA, even if it was all expenses paid), I might even enter. :) You are an inspiration to do this!

Emy Shin said...

This is such a generous and wonderful thing you're doing, Lenore. :)

bermudaonion said...

You are so generous!!

jonathan said...

Hello, Lenore! How are you?
Despite not knowing much speak or write English, I'm risking. I'm from Brazil and found your blog by chance in a research I was doing. I want to congratulate you for the excellent content.
Here in Brazil the blogs talk about books designed to run high.
If you find any mistake in grammar forgive me. I'm using Google translator.
Thank you. Success!

My blog - http://nomundodealguem.blogspot.com

jonathan said...

Olá, Lenore! Como vai?
Apesar de não saber muito bem falar ou escrever em inglês, estou me arriscando. Eu sou do Brasil e encontrei seu blog por acaso em uma pesquisa que eu estava fazendo. Quero parabenizá-la pelo excelente conteúdo.
Aqui no Brasil os blogs que destinam a falar de livros estão em alta.
Se você encontrar algum erro na gramática perdoe-me. Eu estou utilizando o tradutor do Google.
Muito obrigado. Sucesso!

Meu blog - http://nomundodealguem.blogspot.com

Meg @ write meg! said...

So kind of you. Good luck, everyone!

MySharonAnne said...

Wow this is so sweet of you Lenore. If I was going this year I'd definitely sign up as I am broke. lol

The1stdaughter said...

Wow! You are so incredibly generous! Thank you so much for helping out so much!

Katie said...

Thanks so much Lenore! This is amazing. I will definitely be applying!

Rhiannon said...

This is amazing Lenore! So generous, plus exciting that more folks will come out!
Now you just need to raffle off your time for coffee as probably 500 bloggers are going to want to meet you while they're there. hahahaha, you can make back your money from the prize package!
Rhiannon
TheDiaryofaBookworm

Jessica said...

I think it's amazing that you are giving someone a chance like this. More people need to be like you, seriously! :)

Wishing you all the best! <3

Melissa said...

You? Are freakin' amazing for doing this! What a wonderful gift for a lucky blogger!

I am also remiss in not congratulating you before now on your book (I hadn't heard until just yesterday or so) Many congratulations and best wishes!

Jeane said...

If I wasn't going to be in bed with a few-weeks-old-baby at the time, I'd jump at the chance. I've always watched the goings-on of book blog conventions with a sort of wistful envy, knowing I'd never be able to afford to go! What an awesome thing you're doing here.

Liviania said...

Thank you for doing this Lenore!

Not going to lie, I really hope I get the scholarship. But whether I get it or not, I'm happy that someone who wants and deserves to go to the con will be able to make it due to your generosity.

Sab H. said...

THIS IS AWESOMELY EPIC! THANK YOU! :D

LinWash said...

That's lovely and generous of you.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the amazing generosity! We're so grateful for your continued support. :)

kevbayer said...

Wow! This is an awesome thing for you to do! I'd enter, but I'm all out of time off for the year already!

Good luck to all who enter!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

What a generous thing to do!

KT Grant said...

Lenore what a lovely thing to do! :)

KT Grant said...

What a lovely thing to do! :)

Lisa Schensted said...

this is an incredible way to give back to the blogging community. thank you for your generosity and awesomeness!

Zibilee said...

Lenore, this is an amazing thing for you to do. I very much admire your selflessness in doing something like this, and I hope the blogger that wins realizes how lucky they are. You totally rock the casbah!

Lori said...

This is truly an incredible thing you are doing! You are going to make someone very, very happy!

Jennifer said...

This is very generous, Lenore. I recently decided that I would not be able to go due to my current financial situation, so your post is a godsend - truly. Thank you for the opportunity!

Julie Schoerke said...

This is wonderful! Thank you for helping get others to BBC - it's such a great event! And congrats on your book deal! Look forward to seeing you there!

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

What an amazing and generous offer you have made. I am constantly in awe of the community and camaraderie shared by book bloggers - you are the epitome of grace. Thank you Lenore.

Unknown said...

Wow, wow, and did I say wow??!! This is really going to help and it's an inspiration. Helps us remember we didn't get here on our own.

Linda said...

this is a wonderful thing to do Lenore! I am so proud to be your aunt!

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to do. I can't go this year but hope to in the future. Thank you for supporting fellow book lovers.

The Girl from the Ghetto said...

Very cool of you to offer a blogger scholarship. If only I hadn't already purchased mine ...

girlsinthestacks.com said...

This is awesome, hope you find someone deserving to go!

Skye said...

This is so cool and generous! Too bad I just started my blog recently.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Bekka said...

This is so generous! You're so kind for giving someone this opportunity!

Anonymous said...

You are fantastic, Lenore. If this doesn't prove the awesomeness of the book blogging community, I don't know what does.

Bianca said...

Amazing opportunity for someone! Very thoughtful of you.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

This is an incredible act of generosity and kindness, and I just want to say you are an amazing person and thank you very, very much.

NotoriousSpinks said...

Thanks for the opportunity!