Monday, June 9, 2008

48 Hour Reading Challenge (Finish Line)

Here are my totals:

10 books
28 1/2 hours reading time
3309 pages

average 116 pages per hour

I guess I could have done more if I had slept less, but after a while I really got reading fatigue - I even made proclamations like "I will never read a book again!" (Not true, I already started The 19th Wife).

I also noticed when I was reading "Songs for the Missing" (my second book) that I had chosen the wrong books to read if I wanted to win. Some of the books I chose are not the type of books you can speed read, but I wanted to mix it up between adult and YA and also finish up some of my library books. Next time: A big stack of Babysitter's Club Books! (J/K)

Here's what I read (in the order I enjoyed them):

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marissa Pessl
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster
Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer
Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan
Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes
Deliverance by James Dickey
The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston
Daughters of Eve by Lois Duncan

(Reviews all gathered in the next two posts)

Daniel just sent me this quote:

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I think he doesn't want me to participate next year.

8 comments:

Jessica Burkhart said...

Hi! You won a prize on my blog. Please c'mon over for the details. :)

Vasilly said...

You did great. I love The Invention of Hugo Cabret and I though Olive's Ocean was pretty good. You're so right, more smaller books next time.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Lenore you read a lot of pages!!

web said...

Nice mix of books! And I think MR would have nixed the Babysitter's anyway. :-) Where *I* always seem to go wrong is writing almost as much as I read, but it seems to be in my blood. :-)

paperxxflowers said...

Wow. That's alot.

That sounds like so much fun to do, though!

Maybe I'll try that next year...

But yeah, anyways. I'm here to tell you that you have two entries :]

I never got the email from HarperTeen, either. I just got the book one day. lol

I might possibly be giving away a copy of it on my blog (fingers crossed), but don't tell... yet!

Linda said...

that's great Lenore. Wish I could devote that much time in 48 hours to reading. I'm sure Daniel missed you during those 48 hours, thus the quote.

Got your books this weekend. I need to get busy reading so I can finish them before you get here. I've read 2 of the 5, so I only have 3 to read.

Anonymous said...

My kids loved Babysitters Club. I always rolled my eyes at the formulaic writing, but it kept them reading, which is the bottom line!

I guess my old favorite Nancy Drew books were the same way!

Kristi said...

Wow! You did great in the 48-hour book challenge. Congratulations! I have to say, I was pretty worn out after the marathon, as well. I don't think I ever got as drastic as "I'll never read a book again," but I did make a trip to the movie store on Sunday ;>). The fatigue's worn off now, though. I've started yet another book.