Thursday, June 26, 2008

Germany in the Euro final!

Now, I don't usually watch or care much about soccer, but it's hard to not get caught up in the excitement of an entire nation when you live here. We saw the semi-final game last night under a tent near the main train station, surrounded by raving fans. The tension was palpable when the Turks made their first goal in the 22nd minute and joy undeniable when Germany equalized in the 26th. Germany made another goal late in the game, but Turkey did too with 6 minutes to go. I didn't want to sit there another 30 minutes for overtime so I cheered like a crazy person when Germany made a goal with seconds to spare to bring the score to 3-2. As we made our way home, we observed (and heard) tons of people honking their horns and waving Germany flags. Some cars had people hanging out of the windows and standing out of their sun roofs. We saw one being tailed by a police car - not sure how that ended. The honking went on until 1 a.m. in the morning at least. Certainly not your everyday occurance.

4 comments:

Silverheron said...

I was in Paris during the 98 World Cup and got to march with all of the Parisians when they won. I even got a champagne shower. I know what you mean, you just can't help but get caught up in the excitement.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Ah - that's such a cool experience! So you definitely know what I am talking about.

Steve said...

Yeah, and remember when Kelly and I were in Paris when France beat Italy at the last World Cup! We got caught up in the street celebrations. I'm definitely pulling for Germany!

Linda said...

You know I love soccer, so GO GERMANY!