Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Guest Review: Eleanor reviews PJ Hoover's The Emerald Tablet

PJ Hoover sent me her forthcoming middle grade book “The Emerald Tablet” for review and since I was spending the week with a child in the target group, I gave it to her to read first. Her name is Eleanor, she is 10 years old and she is a huge fan of the fantasy genre, so this was perfect for her. After reading the first chapter, she turned to me and said, “This is FREAKING awesome!” Now if that isn’t a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is! I will review this myself (next week hopefully), but first, here is her review.

The book is about a boy named Benjamin. He sees his mom disappear in thin air, but it’s not a big shock to him since his life is pretty abnormal to begin with. He, his whole family and his friend Andy are all able to lift objects using their minds and have conversations without speaking out loud. Benjamin touches a mirror which tells him that he must attend 8 weeks of summer school which he teleports to. At the school he meets Andy and 4 other new friends. One day they find an emerald tablet that tells them that the walls protecting them from Atlantis are weakening and it is up to them to find a solution. This is where the book really gets exciting.

My favorite part of the book is when Helios comes and fights with Mr. Burton. It is very suspenseful. I also liked how the characters all got along and worked together toward a common goal. And I ended up being very surprised by which characters were revealed as villains at the end. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes a great fantasy read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great bookreview, eleanor!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of The Emerald Tablet, Eleanor! You can't imagine how happy it makes me!
I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Melsy626 said...

I love your blog........so much that I nominated you for an award, you can find the details here:

http://melsysplace.blogspot.com/2008/07/wowowow.html