Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Waiting On Wednesday (45) Upcoming Dystopian Fiction Sequels

A lot of the dystopian lit coming out these days is in the form of series books, usually trilogies, but sometimes even longer (6 books? Michael Grant? Really?).


And it can be FUN to follow a series, but it can also be frustrating to have to wait so long between books.

Which ones I am inpatiently waiting for?

Let’s start with the ones I gave 5 zombie chickens to.

I loved Maria V Snyder’s INSIDE OUT (read my review) so I am ridiculously excited for OUTSIDE IN, coming March 2011. And it even has a cover already. Looks like more “fun” in the pipes for Trella and Riley.

I also gave the first book in Jasper Fforde’s SHADES OF GREY trilogy the ultimate rating (read my review), so was very saddened to hear that the second book SHADES OF GREY 2: PAINTING BY NUMBERS, won’t be out until 2014! That’s just torture!

Mary E. Pearson’s THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX was also one of my recent favorites (read my review), and word is on the street, her companion novel THE FOX INHERITANCE is due for publication in fall 2011.

And the rest...

I think the second book in Justin Cronin’s THE PASSAGE series (read my review of the first) is due in 2011. I hope!

A little tidbit about the sequel to Caragh O’Brien’s sequel to BIRTHMARKED (read my review), due 2011, that I gleaned from a thread over on GoodReads, “It's definitely another dystopia where the environment has a huge impact on the society. It begins about two weeks after Birthmarked ends.” Oooh!

Teri Hall’s sequel to THE LINE (read my review), is called AWAY and will be released in 2011. Rachel’s adventure continues when she crosses into the mysterious territory known as Away.

Neal Shusterman has inked a deal for the sequel of UNWIND (read my review) to be called UNWHOLLY and to be released in 2012.

In case you are wondering, I covered Robin Wasserman’s SKINNED series and James Dashner’s THE MAZE RUNNER series in my Feb sequel preview.

That’s all for now! What dystopian sequels are you most looking forward to?

15 comments:

Readingjunky said...

Oh, I'm excited! I didn't know there was going to be a sequel to UNWIND. Thanks for the info.

I just finished BRUISER by Neal Shusterman. It was good, but nothing beats UNWIND.

RJ

Sandy Nawrot said...

I had not heard that Jenna was going to have a follow up! That is really exciting. I loved that book.

Gaby G said...

I haven't read this novels but I really want to read Inside Out and Unwind!

bermudaonion said...

It looks like you have a lot to look forward to.

AHS said...

I didn't realize Unwind was getting a sequel. Excellent! Thanks for the heads up on all of these.

Carla said...

I am so excited to read The Scorch Trials!! The Maze Runner was an amazing start to the series and I can't wait to see how that story pans out.

Kristen M. said...

2014? Gah! I'm a fan of everything Jasper Fforde except for how long he takes to continue series! ;)

admin said...

Oh,I like your blog .

audreygeddes said...

The Passage looks like a great read. Thanks for sharing these! You might also enjoy a non-fiction book called, "Sun of god," by Gregory Sams, which is about whether we should worship the Sun or regard it as a god. It's worth checking out if you would like to know more about our place in the universe.

Chrisbookarama said...

2014! Whaaaat?! I can't wait that long. What are they thinking?

Lenore Appelhans said...

RJ - I haven't read any other NS, but I did enjoy Unwind!

Kristin and Chris - 2014 is like forever away. I'll be using a walker by then!

Ladytink_534 said...

I hate waiting for a series so I tend to wait until they're all out before I read them.

Nikki in Niagara said...

WHAT?????!!!!!!

The Sequel to Shades of Grey isn't coming out till 2014??????

I had no idea. I was just thinking I would do some searching to find out when I could expect it. I'm not going to remember a thing about Book 1 by 2014! I hope he starts with an extensive wrap up of Vol. 1.

Alyce said...

And my wish list gets even longer! I still haven't read Inside Out - I just put it on hold at the library though, so hopefully I'll have time soon.

I'm looking forward to the James Dashner sequel, and completely excited to hear that there's a sequel to Unwind.

Michelle said...

Loving the cover of Outside In! I'm looing forward to getting to read it. Thanks for letting me know that the sequel to Shades of Grey is so far out. I've got that on my TBR but will likely push it out knowing that I'll have to wait so long. So so many great books to read.