Sunday, July 12, 2009

Book Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Jenna has just awoken from a coma and is suffering from amnesia. Her 17 years on Earth have been well documented though, and her parents have her watch videos of herself to help her remember. As Jenna recovers, she starts asking questions. Why does her grandmother seem to dislike her? Why did they move away from their former home? Why can’t she attend regular high school? What exactly happened in the car accident that put her in the coma?

This is one of those novels where the reader and the main character are on the same page – we discover things as Jenna discovers them – and it's a very thought provoking journey. Set in the non-too-distant future, the novel raises some interesting questions about ethics, the limits of technology, and the nature of identity. I was thoroughly impressed with the storyline, the characterizations, and the writing. I even marked quite a few quotes to possibly use in my review, but then I was so excited about it, I loaned it out before I had the chance to write this.

Anyway, after this one, and THE MILES BETWEEN, Mary E. Pearson is certainly on my shortlist of go-to authors.

There is still time to enter my contest for one of five copies of THE MILES BETWEEN. Don’t miss your chance!

24 comments:

Kathleen said...

This book sounds intriguing...I'm going to have to add it to my TBR stack which seems to be getting bigger by the minute!

bermudaonion said...

The story line does sound fantastic! I think I'd like this book.

Priya said...

This book rocks. I just couldn't put it down until the end.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I love reading books about memory loss. Sounds like a good story. I am wondering what she did that her grandmother dislikes her now.

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. It is seriously one of my favorite books of all time--and that's including the classics of Madeline L'Engle and all the rest.

And how did I miss the interview on her latest?!?! Off to go read and comment now!!

Jen said...

Just got this from the library! So excited ^_^

Anonymous said...

I liked this book too! I thought it was too slow at some points, but in the end I loved it for the questions and thoughts it provoked. Glad you enjoyed it too!

Mari said...

Sounds good. I will to look around for this one.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I read this when it first came out and was really impressed. I really enjoyed the grandmother and her seeing how she felt. My only complaint was that Dane seemed to be an important part of the story, but nothing developed further. I would have liked to see him more.

Staci said...

I've been wanting to read this for a long time now!! I keep forgetting to get the book. So now I'm off to my library site to request it. Thanks Lenore!!

Anonymous said...

I love this book. It's so interesting and full of secrets. I couldn't wait to know more about Jenna and what was going on.

Thao said...

I've been wanting to read this book. I like the subject of it and the cover is really nice too.

Melissa O. said...

Great review! I really enjoyed this one, too. And I added a link to your review on mine.

kalea_kane said...

This sounds awesome. I like that the reader moves along WITH the main character! I've added this to my list. :) Thanks for sharing.

Beth F said...

I have been wanting to read this one forever. 7 Impossible Things reviewed it and I was hooked. I wonder why I haven't picked it up yet?

Elizabeth said...

This is great -- I think I'm going to do a big mystery-reading blitz for the rest of my summer, and your blog is my #1 go-to place for finding books to include. You've had a few very intriguing-sounding ones lately.

Although when you said, "her 17 years on this Earth," my first thought was, She's an alien? Can you tell my coffee is still brewing?

Anna said...

I've heard great things about this one. My friend loaned me her copy, and I hope to get to it soon.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kay Cassidy said...

Thanks for the reminder, Lenore! I always meant to read this one and just picked it up at the library so I finally will. Looking forward to it!

Jess said...

Fantastic review -- this is on my must read list!

Zibilee said...

Great review! Your enthusiasm for the book really shows in your review, and I'm glad you liked it!

Melissa said...

I really want to read this one!

Lorin said...

That sounds great. I'll have to add it to my tbr list!

Serena said...

I read this one last year and loved it...there is so much in this book for book clubs to talk about. Its definitely a must read.

Jenn said...

Sounds very interesting. I am reading about it more and more on different blogs. Definitely one for the TBR pile.