Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Author Interview: Amy Tintera previews Reboot

For my spotlight on upcoming dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction series, I interview authors with novels coming out in the genre in 2012/13. These are exclusive first looks at exciting new works. Enjoy!



Today I have Debut Author Amy Tintera to preview REBOOT, a sci-fi dystopian thriller due from
HarperTeen in Summer 2013.


The summary:

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). 
Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum. 
The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

And the interview:

Why do you think people are drawn to "dark" stories?
I think we like to see characters pull themselves out of darkness. We like to see odds stacked against people, and then watch them persevere anyway. My favorite stories are the ones where things are really, really bad and the character straps on their boots and basically says “bring it on.”


If your book had a theme song, what would it be and why?
The theme song for REBOOT wouldn’t be a song; it would be silence. I know that’s boring, and as someone who absolutely loves music, it’s a little painful to say. But it’s true. The main character of REBOOT, Wren, loves silence, and the first chapter of the book explains why. It is also the first book I wrote where I had a hard time writing to music. Silence has always defined this book for me. *Lenore's note: So ... Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode) then ;) ha


What fictional character from another book would your main character chose as his/her best friend and why?
 My main character, Wren, is not so great at making friends. But I think she and June from LEGEND by Marie Lu would really hit it off. I think they might forget to make small talk around all the “saving the world” talk, but they’d certainly get along.


What are your top 5 Dystopian lit recs and why?

Legend by Marie Lu – I love both the characters. They’re tough but vulnerable in their own way. I’m also a big fan of tightly paced/plotted stories, and this is a fabulous example of that. Marie Lu lingers in all the right places, but knows when to move the story along. And as someone who lives in Los Angeles, a post-apocalyptic story set there is awesome.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi – Veronica Rossi does such a great job of building Aria’s character arc in this story. I love the journey she takes from beginning to end. Plus, the romance! Swoon-worthy romance!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – Of course. It’s terrifying and gripping and a perfect example of an author creating a world that is absolutely horrifying, yet still believable.

Across the Universe by Beth Revis – I’m not entirely sure this qualifies as “dystopian,” but I’m listing it anyway because I love it. Beth Revis sets up impossible choices for her characters from the very first page and takes such care in creating the world. A story set entirely on a space ship could get boring, but there’s isn’t a dull second in this book!

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi – I love crazy characters. LOVE them. And Juliette is a great example of a character who is not quite all there but is still incredibly easy to relate to. I love Tahereh Mafi’s use of the strike-through to convey Juliette’s mental state, and the romance in this book is really powerful.


What's on the top of your to-do list before the world ends?
I’d really like it if the apocalypse would hold off until my book is published, since that’s been my dream since I was about ten years old. Other than that, I think I’d like a cupcake.


How does your novel stand out from others in the genre?
I’d like to think my characters make my novel stand out. I sought to create a character (Wren) that people wouldn’t be entirely sure was the good guy. She complex, she’s kind of scary, and she may be the tiniest bit of a sociopath. I’m not a big fan of GOOD VS EVIL. I prefer stories that are murkier, where you’re rooting for a character despite their flaws, despite the fact that they may not be solidly in the “good guy” camp. I hope my book has a little bit of that.

Thank you Amy - I am SUPER excited for this *squee*
 

Amy's website: http://amytintera.com/
Twitter: @amytintera
Add REBOOT to your Goodreads Wishlist

4 comments:

Amy Parker said...

Yay, Amy!!! I'm excited for your book too!

Bethany Hagen said...

Sounds like a stunning book! I can't wait!

Kate the Book Buff said...

Awesome interview! This book sounds so cool, I am a sucker for dystopian!

-Kate the Book Buff
Recent Post: Review: The Gallows Curse by Karen Maitland

Zibilee said...

I like the premise of this book, and the fact that the longer that a character is dead, the deadlier they come back is really intriguing to me. I really, really want to read this book, and will be eager to see it released. It's just the type of dystopian that I love.