Saturday, August 18, 2012

Book Review: Feedback by Robison Wells



VARIANT, the book that precedes FEEDBACK, was one that Michelle and I discussed at length last August.  We agreed that VARIANT was primarily a "boy book" due to its action plot, thin romance, and detachment of the main character.  But the saving grace of VARIANT for me, what elevated it to truly memorable, was the mega twist at the end, which was both set up very well and unpredictable - which is a super difficult feat.

FEEDBACK has the action of VARIANT, perhaps more so (and the stakes are certainly raised), but the twists aren't as compelling since there aren't many places a plot can go after you learn what you learn about academy and the surrounding community. So if you've come precisely for the action, I'd say go for it.  But if you, like me, came to get a second helping of BAM! CRAZY! TWIST!, well ... you might be disappointed.

FEEDBACK comes out October 2, 2012. Find out more about it at the author's website.

See index of dystopian reviews on Presenting Lenore

FTC disclosure: I got this book at BEA 2012

4 comments:

Christina said...

"But if you, like me, came to get a second helping of BAM! CRAZY! TWIST!, well ... you might be disappointed."

That, right there, is why you're awesome. You made me snicker. That's lovely. I was sort of meh on Variant. I still don't know if I want to read Feedback.

Jill the OWL said...

I'm so very jealous that you got to read this book!!! I liked Varient a lot, and really loved it for recommending to the boys I teach! Can't wait to read this one even more now :)

Kailana said...

That's too bad you were disappointed. I have never even heard of Varient before. So many books... So little time... (And, I have a short memory at times.)

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to understand a lot about
this, such as you wrote the book in it or something.
I feel that you just could do with some percent to power
the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is magnificent blog.
A great read. I'll definitely be back.
http://traytown.com/read_blog/2139/true-instagram-followers-as-well-as-the-do-it
my page > lorli