Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dystopian Books Out Now (Featured in February)

Part of the fun of my dystopian months is getting to read and review new dystopian lit months ahead of time. I thought a little reminder post was in order...because now you can actually buy these books or borrow them from the library!

THUMPED by Megan McCafferty - April 2012





Summary:
In this sequel to BUMPED, twin sisters Harmony and Melody are both due to deliver twins - on the same day. The girls’ every move is analyzed by millions of fans eagerly counting down to “Double Double Due Date.” They’re two of the most powerful teen girls on the planet, and they could do only one thing to make them even more famous: Tell the truth.


What I said then:
"I was super excited for THUMPED and it really delivers (do you like my use of double meaning? lol). These two books were so much fun, I wish Megan McCafferty would write 100 more books in the series."

ABOVE by Leah Bobet - April 2012



Summary:
Matthew and Ariel live in the tunnels under the city, hidden away from normal people because of their genetic mutations - until their sanctuary is attacked and they are forced to go above.

What I said then:
"Bobet has some gorgeous turns of phrase and she writes tender moments between characters incredibly well.  Due to the inclusion of a lot of unexplained terminology and inner monologues, the prose is quite dense and may be a challenge for those expecting a breezy, action-oriented read."

Read my entire review + interview with Leah

Check out Leah's ABOVE preview interview

THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass - April 2012



Summary:
America Singer doesn’t want to be one of the 35 girls chosen for the selection, a process by which Prince Maxon will choose his bride.  She’s in love with Aspen, but enters the lottery to help her family – and is not only chosen, but becomes a front-runner for the prince’s hand.

What I said then:
"If you’re a stickler for your dystopians making total sense, this one might bug you.  But if you’re looking for a fun love story with a high-concept premise, you've definitely come to the right place!"

Read my entire review + Interview with Kiera

MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by Bethany Griffin - April 2012



Summary: 
In a world where death and decay permeate day-to-day life, Araby seems to have it better than most. But Araby is borderline suicidal after the death of her twin brother Finn and drugs  herself to oblivion. Can Araby find something worth living for?

What I said then:
"Via the dark, foreboding atmosphere and vivid descriptions of rotting bodies (yes, seriously) I really got a sense for this crumbling society."


THE FORGETTING CURVE by Angie Smibert - May 2012



Summary: This sequel to MEMENTO MORA follows Winter's cousin Aiden as he puts his hacker skills to good use to figure out what's going on with Forgetting Clinics.

What I said then:
"Like in the first book, the world building details really immerse you in a near-future world where companies take advantage of people's fears to make money." 


STRUCK by Jennifer Bosworth - May 2012



Summary:
17 year old Mia Price is a lightning addict living in Los Angeles in the wake of a devastating earthquake. She's caught the eye of two opposing factions: The Prophet and his followers who predict the end of the world and a secret society of seekers who want to use her to stop it.  Then there's the mysterious hot guy Jeremy - who warns her to stay away from both sides.  

What I said then:
"What really works for me here is voice and the ability to get inside the head of someone who has been struck by lightning so much she winds up craving it.  Via the writing, I could feel the lightning - which was quite a unique reading experience."

Read my entire review + interview with Jennifer


THIS IS NOT A TEST by Courtney Summers - June 2012



Summary:
Sloane and her older sister have always said they’ll escape their abusive home together, but when her sister leaves without her, Sloane decides she wants to die. Then a zombie virus breaks out and only by fighting for her life does Sloane discover she might actually want to live. 

What I said then:
"I don’t want to say a lot, because I think it’s more powerful if you go in knowing as little as possible. But know this: I make it my mission to read everything Courtney writes. Her style is to strip-down to the emotional truths of life and I love that kind of honesty in fiction."



GLITCH by Heather Anastasiu - August 7, 2012



Summary:
Cybernetically-enhanced teen Zoe Gray is glitching, and if she's found out by her rigid underground society, she'll be reprogrammed or even deactivated. As she learns to stay hidden and control her developing telekinesis, she discovers other glitchers including two boys that vie for her affections.

What I said then:
"The novel has so much more to offer too.  An interesting world, high stakes, and a killer of a twist ending. Zoe's journey from naive follower to empowered fighter is exciting, emotional and kick-ass fun."

Read my entire review + interview with Heather

Check out Heather's GLITCH preview interview

How many of these have you read?

7 comments:

Christina said...

Your prediction about Above was definitely true. I've seen a lot of DNFs for that one. I'm going to be reading a couple of these during Dystopian August, so we'll see what I think!

Unknown said...

I always enjoy your posts on dystopia, my favorite genre! Library here I come!

Zibilee said...

A lot of these look like books that I would love to read, and soon! Thanks for letting us know that they are out there now. I better get moving!

Ellz said...

Have not read any of these. I started thumped and had to put it down. Too much... something. I am adding new ones to the list today!!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Your description of The Selection was quite spot on! I didn't enjoy it for this specific reason, but I can also see why so many other readers have loved it!

Tez Miller said...

I've read THE FORGETTING CURVE and STRUCK, but I have THUMPED on my wishlist :-)

Emily said...

I snagged This is Not a Test from the library, but I wasn't certain if I'd be able to use it for Dystopian August. I'm so glad to hear that it counts!
I really, really need a copy of Thumped, too. Thanks for reminding me!