Thursday, December 18, 2008

Waiting on Wednesday (13) Death by Denim by Linda Gerber

Slightly different this week - why? Well not only are you actually getting it on Thursday (sorry, I was awake for 30 hrs straight and HAD to go to bed when I finally arrived in Wichita last night), but also I had been planning to post Death by Denim as my "WOW" pick and lo and behold, I found the ARC in my mailbox, signed by Linda herself. Linda even included a beautiful christmas card (my third physical card this year - the others were from Raquel who is in Surgut, Siberia, Russia teaching English and Julie & Ben who visited me back in September). Thanks Linda!

So what's Death by Denim all about? It's the third in Linda's Death by... series featuring Aphra Connelly and her spy mother. I very much enjoyed Death by Bikini (review here) and Death by Latte (review here) and since Death by Latte ended on a HUGE cliffhanger, I have been impatient to get my hands on this one.

This time, Aphra is in Paris! Here's the description from Amazon (light spoilers if you haven't read the first two):

Even though Aphra Connolly knows there are some very dangerous people on their tail when she met her mom, Natalie, in Paris, she envisioned the two of them strolling along the Champs-Elysées, sharing Nutella-smeared crepes and mother-daughter bonding. But the only strolling they’ve been doing is from one cheap hostel to another, and the “moments” they share consist of Natalie instructing Aphra on the finer points of anonymity and survival. When Natalie’s CIA contact in Paris is found floating in the Seine with a deadly message stuffed into his mouth, Aphra realizes that, like Seth Mulo and his family, she will never be able to stop running unless she confronts the situation head-on. Sneaking away from her mom and her CIA protector Ryan, Aphra tracks down a criminal mastermind in Italy, only to discover that Seth had the same idea, and her presence may have just put Seth in mortal danger. . . .

Oooh! Can't wait to dig in. Death by Denim comes out May 2009.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story. I hope you enjoy the book!

Alea said...

Must start this series soon!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Alea - Yes you must!!

Alea said...

I should have put it on my YA challenge, whoops!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Did you post that on your blog? I don't remember seeing your list...

Alea said...

Yeah it's here: http://aleapopculture.blogspot.com/2008/11/2009-young-adult-book-challenge.html

You should join! I did a mix of must reads and arcs!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks for the link. I should join in. It will be an easy challenge for me!

Alea said...

Definitely! Too fun/easy not to :)

Shalonda said...

I've really got to start reading these books. I saw the first one at the last Scholastic Book Fair my school held, but for some reason I didn't end up buying it. Guess when I hit up the book store next week, I'll see if it's available.

Serena said...

I love the cover of this book. Lovely! Very creative...and the story sounds good as well.