Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Fabulous! (15)

Wow - I haven't done one of these for weeks. But here's what I'm excited about this week:

1. Daniel created a new header for Karin Librarian and she posted her thanks. She also tracked down and posted the first online image of the Buffalo from Daniel's forthcoming picture book IS YOUR BUFFALO READY FOR KINDERGARTEN? So exciting!

2. Tina of Fantastic Book Review and Kim of The Book Butterfly have come up the Bad Boy Bonanza - a mega giveaway to celebrate the release of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. A bunch of bloggers and authors are donating books and swag for the prize bucket. Since my favorite bad boy this year has been Sin from Nina Malkin's SWOON (my review), I'm donating a hardcover copy of said tome. Head on over to join in the fun and win yourself some books featuring bad boys. If you need some bad boy inspiration, also check out Adele's recent blog post on Persnickety Snark about her favorite bad boys of YA.

3. In honor of ALA's upcoming banned books week (Sept 26th-Oct 3rd), Donna of Bites is hosting a theme month about banned books. I'm planning on finally reading Fahrenheit 451. There is still time for you to join in! Check out her blog for details.


4. A very special writer friend of mine just signed with an agent! I'm so happy for her!

5. Book Club Part 2: Next week my new and improved (and non-paranoid) book club is meeting for the first time. We each plan to introduce one of our favorite books to the rest of the group. I'm sure I'll have a hard time deciding which one of my many favorites to talk about.

6. I'll be attending two (possibly three) Tori Amos concerts this coming week. Please keep your fingers crossed that I'll finally get to hear Northern Lad performed live and in person.

19 comments:

Anna said...

"Northern Lad" has long been my favorite Tori song. Serena and I saw her in D.C. several years ago and she sang that one. It was awesome! How is it that you're attending 2 or 3 of her shows? I'm jealous!!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lenore Appelhans said...

Anna - You are so lucky! I've been to 10 shows and have never gotten it.

I am actually going to her Basel and Zurich shows next week (maybe Luxembourg if I can find my ticket).

And then in October, I will see her here in Frankfurt and then in Berlin.

I'm only going to shows where I have some place to stay overnight and where I would go to visit someone anyway :) - you know - even though I'm tempted to follow her around everywhere!!

Anna said...

I haven't seen her since the "Strange Little Girls" tour. She performed along. We also saw her when she toured for "From the Choirgirl Hotel" and she had a band. The shows were both so different but equally awesome.

I'd love to travel like you do. Maybe someday...

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anna said...

I meant alone, not along. It's been a long day at the office. LOL

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lenore Appelhans said...

I was at the DC show two years ago...that would have been crazy if you had been there too...our paths crossing more than just at BEA.

PJ Hoover said...

I love the Friday Five.
Congrats to your friend, and enjoy the book club new and improved!

bermudaonion said...

I love Karin's new header! I wish I could go to Luxembourg with you - I loved it there.

TexasRed said...

This is a great list!

Melanie said...

The Banned Books month sounds very interesting. Do you know of any current list of banned books? I'd like to take a look.

Ladytink_534 said...

That is fabulous! Thanks for #2 link :)

SafeLibraries® said...

Regarding #3, no books have been banned in the USA for about a half a century. See "National Hogwash Week."

Also see "US Libraries Hit Back Over Challenges to Kids Books," by Sara Hussein, Agence France-Presse [AFP], 6 September 2009.

Given "American Library Association Shamed," by Nat Hentoff, Laurel Leader-Call, 2 March 2007, I ask anyone reading this to explain why the ALA views book burnings, bannings, and jailed librarians in Cuba as NOT censorship, and why people legally keeping children from inappropriate material IS censorship.

Why does the ALA not only refuse to assist jailed Cuban librarians, but go further and actually thwart efforts by others to assist them? Why should members of the public consider the ALA to be authoritative on the definition of what is censorship in local public libraries?

Indeed, why should local libraries care one whit about an organization actively blocking efforts to assist jailed and beaten Cuban librarians and associated censorship and book burnings?

Thao said...

Really fabulous things that happened. I really liked the banner for Karin's blog ^^

chrisa511 said...

two or three Tori concerts?! Wow!!! I'm so jealous! And happy for you :) I hope you get to hear Northern Lad!! Such a beautiful song. I've heard it once during her Choirgirl Plugged tour and it was fantastic.

Beth F said...

I absolutely love Karin's header. Great job.

Adele said...

Hey Lenore, thanks so much for mentioning my bad boys post and the link too.

Tori's coming to my city in November, I am not going but my friend is the BIGGEST fan ever. He nearly stalks her.

Staci said...

Awesome for Dan!!! I'll be looking for that book!!! Congrats to your friend too!!!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Congratulations to Daniel!

I hope your new and improved (non paranoid) book group is fantastic! What a bizarre story about the former group!

Linda said...

I need to get Tori's newest CD. Have fun at her concerts!

Zibilee said...

I'd love to get to go to a Tori Amos concert. She doesn't come around here often, and this last time I missed her. Have fun!