Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Fabulous! (16) The mostly Tori Amos edition

What am I excited about this week?

1. Lauren Mechling is having a contest at her blog for a boxed set of 6 books from Betsy-Tacy's high school years. Lauren describes this classic series by Maud Hart Lovelace as Little House on the Prairie meets Gossip Girl. Ooooh!


2. The Bad Boy Bonanza is still going on...and there are so far only 9 entrants and 8 guaranteed winners. That makes your odds of winning fab prizes VERY good, and all you have to do is preorder Becca Fitzpatrick's HUSH HUSH which is going to be amazing anyway. What are you waiting for?!


3. Laina of Laina has too much spare time, really does have too much spare time because she was nice enough to offer to program a three column layout for my blog, which I've wanted for a very long time. However, once I uploaded it, Daniel noticed that he'd have to adjust my header, so it is back to the 2 column layout for now. Thank you Laina! You're the best!!


4. My first Tori Amos concert of this tour was in Basel. I had a 6th row ticket and got an amazing setlist including Girl (the first performance in 6 years - my jaw dropped), Josephine, Pandora's Aquarium, Siren and Curtain Call. 6 of the songs were debuts for me which is amazing considering this was my 11th show overall since 1996. I have now heard every song from Little Earthquakes live!


5. And then it was on to Zurich. This wasn't my favorite setlist, despite 4 debuts (for me). Still, lovely performances and a FRONT ROW seat (thanks to an upgrade) made this an amazing show. I never get tired of Hotel, Tear in Your Hand, Mother and Space Dog. And I loved hanging out with Rachel and Steve who are following the entire European leg of the tour.


6. Last minute, I decided to drive to Luxembourg (3 hrs away) to see my first general admission Tori show. Because I got there 5 hours early (just missing out on meeting Tori herself), I was able to get front row and was thisclose to Tori the whole set. Highlights were Juarez, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and a rocking Raspberry Swirl. No debuts for me this show (the first time that's happened in 13 shows), but I did hear her soundcheck Northern Lad and Cars and Guitars while I was outside waiting...does that count?! Rahib did a very thorough run-down of the whole show experience on his blog if you are interested.


Here's a pic from the lovely Shireen to show just how close we were to the tiny stage. I could almost reach out and touch her hooker heels ;)



How about you? What are you excited about this week?

13 comments:

Nely said...

I am in awe of the Tori. She rocks and I'm amazed to hear you were so close to her on more than one occasion. I've caught her twice here in Miami but have never gotten closer than like 12 row - but so worth it anyway.

Unknown said...

I'm excited because tomorrow night (Saturday) I'm going to a book signing by the author of Shiver Maggie Stiefvater!!!!

Rhiannon Hart said...

Wow, that IS close! Hot outfit, hooker-heels and all.

Linda said...

sorry Lenore, I'm not excited about much this week. It's been a very tough week. I won't bore you with the details...but I'm reeling from bad news about a friend. Please pray for my friend Susan and her husband Dennis, and a very bad medical diagnosis for Dennis.

Liviania said...

You know, I don't know any Tori Amos songs.

I'm dreading my physics test, which is the exact opposite of excited. I'm excited about taking a self-portrait of myself as Henry VIII.

ANovelMenagerie said...

I'm so insanely jealous, you have no idea. I'm like the world's biggest Tori Amos fan! 6th row!!!??? That's sick! WOW. I think I would have had a heart attack!

I like the song Carbon (Scarlett's Walk). One night in LA she sang Carbon followed by "Black" (Pearl Jam off Ten album). I could have died! So awesome!

LUCKY DUCK!

PJ Hoover said...

Hooker heels! Love it! Glad you had a great time.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Nely - Happy to meet another Tori fan :)

Jill - That'a awesome! Maggie is so nice. I met her at BEA.

Rhi - Yep. I thought I must be dreaming. It was surreal.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Linda - I wrote you an e-mail.

Allie - Want me to give you some recommendations? ;)

Sheri - I've seen Carbon a couple of times. She played it in Basel. I love the bridge and she's calling up Neil Gaiman and he reads Snow Glass Apples to her.

Lenore Appelhans said...

PJ - Good thing she doesn't need to do much walking when she's on stage!

bermudaonion said...

I'm guessing you like Tori Amos. LOL That sounds like so much fun!

Zibilee said...

Your concert experience sounds amazing! I am glad that you had such great seats and that you have finally heard all of Little Earthquakes live. Great picture also, by the way.

Anna said...

You are a lucky girl! Tori is awesome, and I wish I had more money to spend on concerts. I'd certainly follow her around if I could.

I'm reading the Betsy-Tacy books right now. I'm on #5. I absolutely love them!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric