Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

On her 16th birthday, Beatrice has to choose the faction she wants to be aligned with for the rest of her life. There is Abnegation (the faction she grew up in), Dauntless (the one she wants to join), Amity, Candor and Erudite. But when she takes her aptitude test, Beatrice finds out that she’s a divergent – someone with the strengths of multiple factions. And that divergents are in grave danger.


I heard so much great buzz about this one that I traded someone on Twitter a box full of German chocolate for it. Was it worth it? Oh yes! I do have to admit, though, that at first, a city divided by such seemingly arbitrary factions felt a bit too artificially constructed to me. But soon enough, I was completely sucked in by Beatrice (aka Tris), her struggle to survive life as a dauntless initiate, her search for answers about what it means to be divergent, and her complex relationship with her trainer Four.

DIVERGENT may remind you a bit of THE HUNGER GAMES or CHAOS WALKING trilogies because it is unapologetically bleak in places. It’s a high-stakes, clever, compelling novel and I can’t wait to continue Tris’ journey in book two.



DIVERGENT comes out on May 3, 2011. Find out more about at the author’s blog. Also, check out the starred review in PW!  And remember, you could WIN a copy of DIVERGENT (and other fab books and swag) by posting a review of a dystopian novel this month and linking it up here.

See index of all dystopian reviews on Presenting Lenore

22 comments:

Emy Shin said...

I have to re-read (because speed-reading the night before the exam means I remember very little), but I really adore this book. It's the most HUNGER GAMES-like of all the dystopians I've read, and I liked both Tris and Four very much. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I've been excited about this book for a while, but I hadn't read any reviews. Thanks.

bermudaonion said...

I'll have to look for this one for Carl - it sounds like one he'd love.

Charlotte said...

I'm looking forward to this one! I'm glad it was worth the chocolates--and now, of course, I'm running through my recent reads, re-evaluating them by that standard.

Icelandic chocolate is very good too.

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Oh, yay! I am so very happy that you loved this book! It's my new favorite dystopian series...Cannot wait for book two!

Aarti said...

Oh, interesting! Though it sounds a little *too* like the Hunger Games for me. Do you think it's different enough to warrant a read if one didn't LOVE The Hunger Games?

Kailana said...

People seem to like this book, but I am not sure if it is for me.

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

Whoa. This book is worth a box of German chocolates? In that case: must. read. now.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

It's the second amazing review of this book I've read this week. I'll have to read it once it comes out for sure!

Stacey said...

I want to read this so bad!

Danielle Zappavigna said...

you've convinced me with the Chaos Walking mention! Just added it to my list :-)

Unknown said...

Wow! I've been seeing this book all over, but haven't read anything about it until now :) I will have to check this one out!

Zibilee said...

You know, when you mentioned that there were four factions, and that she had to take a test to see which one she belonged in, I was sort of thinking about Harry Potter, but I am sure this is very different than that. Sounds like an interesting book that would be well worth my time! Glad to hear that box of chocolates wasn't wasted!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Worth a whole box of German chocolate? It MUST be good! ;O)

K. M. Walton said...

I really am looking forward to reading this based on your review! I've heard other people love it as well.

Elana Johnson said...

I want to read this book SO BAD. I can't wait for May 3!

Anna said...

I can't wait to read this one -- sounds like just my type of book!

Ladytink_534 said...

It sounds neat! You know, all these posts you've been doing on dystopian fiction has made me start reading them too. I just finished Alas, Babylon and I plan on starting The Postman next.

Trisha said...

Anything that is reminiscent of Chaos Walking has got my attention!

Michelle said...

This one is on my TBR pile, I'm hoping to make my way to it really soon. Particularly since you liked it. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I knew you would!

Ελλάδα said...

This is a great and fast read! I read it in 36 hours and was sad that it was done and have to wait until the next book. The characters stick with you long after you finish the book!