Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Cursed with an ability to kill with a single touch, Juliette is shunned by her family and given up to the Reestablishment, a military dictatorship that wants to use her as weapon. Juliette is nearly ready to give in, until Adam comes along and inspires her to fight back.

Juliette reminded me of X-MEN’s Rogue (except that she can’t absorb other people’s powers – as far as I know), and SHATTER ME reads like an X-MEN origin story.  The novel is grim and dystopian, but with a paranormal twist.  I’m not always the biggest fan of mixing paranormal and dystopian (see Michael Grant’s GONE), but at least in this installment, debut author Mafi keeps the otherworldly elements to a minimum (based on the ending, it seems like this will change in the sequels).

SHATTER ME takes the reader on a wild ride, with an exciting plot and intriguing characters.  Juliette’s relationship with Adam goes beyond insta-romance and there’s so much chemistry between the two, the steam rises from the page.  You’d think there'd be a lot of sexy-times with a set-up like that, right? But there are so many roadblocks thrown in the pair’s way, it starts to get a bit ridiculous, honestly.  

Even though it afforded us with a glimpse of Juliette’s thought process, I wasn’t overly fond of the frequent strike-outs in the text (after a while it began to feel gimmicky). Mafi’s writing is often achingly lovely if somewhat more ornate than you’d expect to find in a dystopian thriller.

SHATTER ME will be released on November 15, 2011.  Find out more about it at the author’s website.

Zombie chickens say: Well worth reading. No really! Well worth reading - especially if you like a side of paranormal with your dystopian reads.

Song for the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist: Human Touch by Bruce Springsteen. Sample lyric: “I just want someone to talk to, and a little of that human touch.”

15 comments:

geekgirl said...

I'm really looking forward to this one. I've heard weird things about the strikethroughs before, but I've also heard the story's amazing. Can't wait for this one.

Beth F said...

Hummm, I have mixed feelings about this one, so will likely read some of the other dystopians first.

bermudaonion said...

I'm not a fan of X-Men, so I'll probably skip this. Thanks for your review.

Emily said...

The book itself sounds interesting, but what's up with that cover? I know that you aren't supposed to judge a book by cover, but this looks more like a poster for a Paris fashion show than a dystopian novel.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Interesting! I think it’s sort of strange when writers opt for things like blackouts and strikethroughs and excessive footnotes but like visual art, I guess it’s all about personal style, right?

Stephanie said...

I was curious as to what this book would be like and your review gave me a better idea...thanks!

Kailana said...

This book sounds good, but at the same time I am hesitant. I guess I will have to decide when it is released.

Zibilee said...

I also am not sure about mixing elements of dystopia with the paranormal. I mean, how does that really even work? It seems like it might sort of take the plot all over the place. I am not too sure about this one, but I do think the cover is interesting!

Marce said...

I love XMen but the strikeouts completely deter me and dystopian I realised is not for me.

I was excited for a minute.

Leanna Elle said...

I'm torn on this one, although I generally prefer paranormal to dystopian so maybe it'll work out just fine for me! :)

LinWash said...

I can't wait for this one! I really like the premise.

Lauren said...

I've just now starting reading a few paranormal books, so I have to say I'm pretty intrigued about this one.

Allison said...

I don't think I've seen a negative review of this one yet - I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Michelle said...

I'm quite interested to see where I fall on this one. I've heard rave reviews of it but it sounds like you're a bit on the fence.

Lucy said...

Human Touch sounds like a perfect song choice for the book. I'm about to start this one too and your review has me more excited to read it! I like both paranormal and dystopian so it's a perfect blend for me.