Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Library Thing Tuesday (61) + picture of Emmy

Today's question from Wendi: How do you feel about social networking sites? Do you have any you like more than others? Are there any you don't like? Do you have any that you don't associate with your blogs and/or book reviewing? If you could only belong to one of these sites, which one would it be and why?


I generally like the idea of social networking sites. The first one I ever joined (with the exception of music related message boards way back when) was http://www.virtualtourist.com/ which is a site for travel junkies to post their travel tips and photos. I met a ton of friends through the site and ended up discovering a lot of travel destinations that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. I am not so active there anymore, but all my tips and photos from my active days are still up.


The next one I joined was OpenBC, now called http://www.xing.com/. It is a business networking site and I've gotten quite a few jobs over this platform. No talk of books here.


At some point I joined Facebook which has been a lot of fun. I usually don't do status updates there (or do much of anything really) but it has been an amazing way to get back in contact with friends I thought were lost forever.


Then I found the book community sites - LibraryThing, Shelfari, and GoodReads. I don't use Shelfari at all, but I do keep up my LT bookshelf current and spend a fair amount of time on GoodReads (which I use pretty much exclusively for YA titles).


I do have a MySpace page, but I really don't like the layout or interface, so I don't spend much time there.


And of course, there's twitter. I check twitter every couple of hours if I am online and sometimes I get sucked into fun bookish conversations. I often feel like I miss out on a lot by not being on twitter 24/7, but I have to draw a line somewhere or I'd never get any reading done at all! Want to follow me? My handle is @lenoreva


*******************************************


I know this is an overdose of Emmy/Finn cuddling cuteness, but Daniel sent me this picture while I was in Barcelona this weekend and I CANNOT STOP LOOKING AT IT!

21 comments:

Ana S. said...

There is no such thing as an Emmy/Finn overdose!! I kind of want to kidnap them, they're so cute :P

I love Twitter too, but I'm one of the few people left who are not on Facebook.

bermudaonion said...

Twitter is my drug of choice when it comes to social networking. I love the picture of Emmy and Finn - keep 'em coming!

Elizabeth said...

Dude, I can't stop looking at that picture, and I don't even know these cats!

Jess said...

The kitties are adorable! Seeing all the pics of them snuggling makes me want another cat, but I'm not sure how well our first would adjust. He's 13 and pretty spoiled.

Ella Preuss said...

I was kinda sceptical about Twitter, but I love it now!

That Pic is way too cute!

Beth F said...

I twitter but that's it.

Awwwwwwwww love the photo.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Nymeth - No catnapping! My husband won't get on Facebook either...

Kathy - Twitter is like a drug. That's why I try not to log on too often.

Elizabeth - I wish I could have seen this scene for reals.

Jess - Yeah, 13 is probably way to old to learn new tricks. We were told it's best to add a new cat before the first one turns 2 for best results.

Ella - Me too!

Beth - But you twitter enough to make up for not being anywhere else ;)

Anna Claire said...

I love Twitter too, although I totally agree about the 24/7 Twitter thing. My favorite is still Facebook. I'm on LT but don't do much other than update my bookshelf.

There are never too many pics of Emmy and Finn. Wish my two kitties cuddled like that! Alas the calico would just wop the tabby upside the head and stalk off to a different napping spot.

Gerb said...

I think social networking sites are great for keeping in touch with people - but I don't always have the time to stay current so I do feel like I miss out sometimes.

That picture Emmy & Finn cuddling is adorable!

Erica said...

Emmy and Finn are too cute!

I don't get how people have the patience keep their shelves Library Thing and Goodreads :P I get so impatient typing in titles that I just stopped :P

Senfaye said...

You got blog awards: http://amazeofbooks.blogspot.com/2009/07/awards-galore.html

Amee said...

They're just too darn cute! I just want to squeeze them. :P

Staci said...

That photo made my face light up!! Love it!! I've avoided Twitter because I believe I will become addicted and it's bad enough that I still have dial-up!! Now if I had high-speed that would be a different story!! :)

Linda said...

there can never be an Emmy/Finn overdose! Keep the pics coming!

I use Facebook a LOT! Have managed to get in touch with a bunch of high school classmates, and we both know that was a LONG TIME AGO!

PJ Hoover said...

I love Facebook, can't stand MySpace, and am on the fence about Twitter.

Beth Kephart said...

We will never OD on your kittens.

For me, it's the blog and occasional forays on Facebook and a never-active MySpace site.

Then there's the phone.

Then there are the walks I take to see my neighbors.

Sometimes I even send a real letter.

:)

Darlene said...

I couldn't possibly get tired of Emmy/Finn cuddles. This picture is just too precious for words!

Thao said...

I love Twitter and Facebook. They're addicting :)

The picture of Emmy and Finn is so cute. The two dogs at my house cuddle all the time too.

Zibilee said...

All the kitty lurve going on in that picture is adorable.

Korianne said...

I want Emmy and Finn to come visit my kitties. Perhaps they will teach them how to love one another!

Jeanne said...

Ha, Nymeth is on FB as of today! I like it better than Twitter, because I switch back and forth between things I'm doing and don't keep up with the Twitter conversations.

Why am I commenting in Nov. on a post from July? Because these kitties are so cute I followed the photos of them all the way back here. My cats are adorable, but yours!!!