Wednesday, July 8, 2009

WoW topic: How about those Tenners?! My wishlist for 2010.

I love debut novels – in fact at least a third of the books I’ve read so far this year are by first time novelists. So looking ahead to 2010, I am excited about quite a few new YA and MG novels that I discovered on the Tenners website.

I've also been hearing a lot of chatter about how awesome the Tenner authors are - attending chats with book bloggers (which are unfortunately scheduled for when I am sound asleep), coming up with awesome contests and marketing ideas, and just generally being available and cool.

So here are my top 13 titles broken down by publisher and pub date:

Penguin
PALACE BEAUTIFUL by Sarah DeFord Williams. Feb 2010. This is about a modern day girl who finds a diary of a girl living during the 1918 Influenza epidemic which has always fascinated me.
THE LINE by Teri Hall. March 2010. All I had to hear to put this on my wishlist were two little words - dystopian fiction.
TOTALLY SWEET NINJA DEATH SQUAD by Emily Horner. Fall 2010. C’mon – who can resist that totally sweet title?

Random House
THE RED UMBRELLA by Christina Diaz Gonzalez. May 12, 2010. This has to do with Operation Pedro Pan - the largest exodus of unaccompanied minors in the Western Hemisphere (from Cuba to the US). Read summary.
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY by Trish Doller. Sometime 2010. I love cross country adventures. Oh and Trish is on Team Llama and wrote a whole blog post about tapirs, so her book MUST be cool. Right?

HarperCollins
THE SNOWBALL EFFECT by Holly Nicole Hoxter. March 1, 2010. This looks like a fresh spin on the whole dealing with death genre.
THE BODY FINDER by Kimberly Derting. March 16, 2010. This was pushed back so I’ve been lusting after it forever it seems. I’m so in the mood for a paranormal mystery!
WHISPER by Phoebe Kitanidis. April 14, 2010. Great premise: A girl has the power to read thoughts and must save her sister.

Egmont
BRIGHTLY WOVEN by Alexandra Bracken. March 23, 2010. A girl is given as a reward to a wizard for ending the drought in her town. Read summary.
THE RISE OF RENEGADE X by Chelsea Campbell. May 11, 2010. Another super cool premise: Teen supervillain finds out his father is really a superhero. Read summary.

Simon Pulse
LOSING FAITH by Denise Jaden. Oct 2010. There’s a cult involved. Oh yeah.

Bloomsbury
THE MARK by Jen Nadol. January 2010. Girl is able to see when people are about to die. Should she tell them?

Roaring Brook Press
THE BABY CODE by Caragh O’Brien. Sometime 2010. Another dystopia!


How about you? Which ones of these intrigue you? Or did other Tenners catch your eye? Do you like to read debut authors? Or do you prefer to stick to the tried and true?

38 comments:

Melanie said...

I love reading debut authors! One tenner book that I'm looking forward to is The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy. It looks like a pretty cool book!!

Thao said...

I could make a list of it but right now the one I'm most excited about is A Match Made In Highshool. Your wishlist contains a lot of books I've never heard of, I have to check them out.

MySharonAnne said...

Don't The Line and Baby Cody sound awesome? *Squee!* I feel so spoiled getting two dystopian tenner books.

Most of these are on the top of my wishlist too. You have fab. taste. :)

Kristen said...

I have to keep my goodreads screen up on Wednesdays to add all these great books to my to-read bookshelf. So many great books coming out next year!

Michelle said...

I'm all over The Line. I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction as well. I'm seriously going to have to go through The Tenners website to see what is coming out. :)

Chelsea said...

My first WoW, how cool is that? ;)

The Rise of Renegade X comes out May 11th, 2010--you can find out more about it here: http:chelseamcampbell.com.

Anonymous said...

I pretty much want to read everything from the 10ers. There are sooo many amazing books being released next year.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I know Sharon! I wish ALL books were dystopias!! Well not really...but I do love them.

Chelsea - Thanks for dropping by! I added the info you provided to my post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for mentioning The Line! I hope you enjoy it. There is a sequel out in 2011, too!

Teri Hall

Steph Su said...

Let's cheer together, shall we? "Dystopian lit! Dystopian lit!" Nice list. :)

Sarah said...

Thanks so much for mentioning PALACE BEAUTIFUL! I hope you love it!

I had lunch with some fellow tenners yesterday and I think we are in for some pretty exciting reads next year! I can't wait to dive in!

-Sarah DeFord Williams

Alea said...

Yay! And I'm so glad you saw Trish's tapir story I'm still excited about it!!

MissSusie said...

WoW..more books to look forward too!All the ones you listed plus-The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson by, Stephanie Burgis-Plain Jane by, Erin Bow & The Witch's Alphabet by, Caitlin Kitteridge all sound really good!Thanks for this link!

Christina Diaz Gonzalez said...

Thanks so much for mentioning The Red Umbrella! My book actually has a release date (May 12, 2010) but the cover isn't ready yet (I'll keep you posted). I can now say that my very first WoW was on Presnting Lenore!

Suzanne Young said...

What a great list! And other than those I'm really looking forward to The Witch's Alphabet and Hush, Hush.

Suz

Phoebe Kitanidis said...

I <3 Wednesdays! Nice to see Whisper on the list. :) The Tenner books I'm personally lusting after the most right now are: THE RISE OF RENEGADE X (obsessed with this one), HARMONIC FEEDBACK, HUSH HUSH, MAGIC UNDER GLASS, SCRATCHING AT THE EIGHT BALL, and PRINCESS FOR HIRE. I cannot wait to read these books...

Lenore Appelhans said...

Teri - A sequel?! Better not be a cliffhanger! LOL.

Sarah - Lunch with tenners sounds fantastic. Maybe I'll see some of you at BEA next year?

Alea - You know I love tapir stories.

SSL - So many of them sound good that I had a hard time narrowing it down to 13.

Christina - Thanks for the info. And yes, I can't wait to see the cover!

Suz - I didn't include Hush, Hush because it is coming out this year now. And I already have it :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

Phoebe - Thanks for stopping by! There is such a rich selection next year. And then there are all the sequels (DEAD TOSSED WAVES, HUNGER GAMES Book 3, GONE) and regular books. I am trying to read as fast as I can to make room for all the greatness!

Jen Nadol said...

Thanks for the mention, Lenore!
I couldn't agree more about all the great books coming. It'll be tough to get any writing done with all the reading I want to do!
: ) Jen

Rose Green said...

I'm particularly interested in Palace Beautiful (even when talking about totally mundane things, I love Sarah's "voice" on her blog.

I also read the first chapter of Brightly Woven just before it sold and am really looking forward to the rest!

Jess said...

I absolutely can not wait for The Body Finder -- great post!

Emily Ruth said...

The Mark sounds fantastic. Great list; thanks!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I could spend days looking at new and upcoming book releases! Thanks for the link, there's lots of awesome looking stuff at the Tenners.
One that really caught my eye was The Mark by Jen Nadol.

Khy said...

Actually, Trish Doller doesn't have an ediotr at the moment. :( Her book is on submission right now.

BUT I WANT ALL OF THESE GOOOOOO TENNERS!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Jen - Thanks for stopping by. I think I can probably get MOST excited for your book because it is coming out the soonest :)

Rose - Lucky you!

Khy - Seriously? Well, thanks for the (sad) update. It better get picked up soon, because I WANT TO READ IT!

Unknown said...

It's going to be an awesome year for YA!

Unknown said...

Oooh those look and sound great! The first one really reminds me of the album cover for Yellowcard's Paper Walls. Totally different but it reminds me of it anyway :D

Shalonda said...

All of these sound fab!

I LOVE debut authors. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore veteran authors as well, but there is something special about finding fresh voices.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm psyched for The Body Finder, too! Must get one of those early!

Sadako said...

The Body Finder. Looks eerie!

Erica said...

I love reading books from debut authors - I love adding another great author to my list.

There's so many books from the Tenners but the ones I'm most excited about are The Secret Year and The Mark

holdenj said...

TOTALLY SWEET NINJA DEATH SQUAD by Emily Horner

I, too, am a sucker for a good title!

Beth F said...

I'd better catch up with my reading so I'm prepared for the Tenners!!!

Angela said...

THE DARK DIVINE by Bree Despain from Egmont ... it is actually going to be released in Dec 09 now, but she's still a 10'er.

Marie Cloutier said...

I enjoy reading debut authors but probably prefer my favorites & the ones I already know.

Zibilee said...

Palace Beautiful sounds like a must read for me. A lot of the others sound good as well. It looks like the book universe has a lot of great things in store for it next year. Glad you posted this!

Memory said...

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a copy of MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jaclyn Dolamore, but I'm rather biased as she's a friend of mine. The book is amazing, and I can't wait until I can stroll into a bookstore and buy a shiny paper copy.

Staci said...

I love how you are so on top of all these books and then you can get us whipped up in a tizzy until 2010!!!