Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review: Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? by Max Brallier

I can still remember the first Choose Your Own Adventure book I ever experienced.  My 3rd grade teacher  read it to us and I was gobsmacked at how cool the concept was. For a few years there, I read every CYOA book I could get my hands on.

CAN YOU SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE? is not a book for kids or young teens, but it bring me back to the magic of that first time in 3rd grade.  The premise is that you are a 20 something slacker at a job in NYC when a zombie virus breaks out and takes over Manhattan.  The choices you make will determine whether you survive - or not.  There is only one THE END (which I found on my second try) but there are many AN ENDs, some where you survive, most where you die in some gruesome fashion.

You might find yourself rolling with the Hell's Angels, shooting at Zombies from the observation deck of the Statue of Liberty, running through the tunnels of the NYC subway, smoking pot with a neighbor, or attending a conference where you can't determine the real zombies from the zombie fans made up just to look like zombies.  It's a fun ride written in a breezy, irreverent style.

CAN YOU SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE? comes out February 8th.  Find out more about it at the author's website.

I'm giving it four Zombie Chickens!



See index of all dystopian lit reviews on Presenting Lenore

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

I loved Choose Your Own Adventure stories! I was just telling my husband about those the other day...

This books sounds like an enjoyable throw back to those CYOA books.

Ammy Belle said...

Awesome! Thanks for the head's up! :)

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like fun! I bet Vance would love this!

Staci said...

I'm sure my son Marc would love this one and yes, he could survive the Zombie Apocalypse!

Liviania said...

Sounds fun! I loved checking CYOA books out from the library. (I totally cheated and looked at both options sometimes.)

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I'd probably die. I'm kind of a wimp. Especially when it comes to zombies, I think. I'm much more comfortable reading about them from the safety from my couch.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds awesome! I can't wait to read it and see if I'd survive.

Zibilee said...

I used to read those choose you own adventure books all the time, and recently found some for my kids. They are just great, aren't they? This one sounds like a lot of fun too, and I just love that cover! Thanks for sharing this one with us!

Shelley said...

Love the zombie chickens, sick of zombies.

Carla said...

This actually sounds like something I would LOVE and I never got the full experience with the CYOA books because I think they are quite American! i feel like I missed somehting vital from my childhood!

caite said...

my brother was talking about this book the other day...it sounds like a hoot!

Anonymous said...

I just read my first path.
I just wanted to say that this book is filled with action, violence, excitement, crude humour, and best of all. It paints a picture.

Fucking amazing book.

Marcus said...

good book but I don't know where to start in the book after it says "an end". can someone please tell me where you are supposed to go when it says "an end" in the book? PLEASE!