Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Review: Those That Wake by Jesse Karp

After an event known as the Big Black plunges NYC into darkness for two weeks, people in the city prefer to keep their heads down and communicate via technology. Mal is a foster kid. Laura has been raised by loving parents in the suburbs. Circumstances throw them together as they face off with a nameless corporate evil that is trying to erase them from the memories of everyone they’ve ever known.


This novel got off to a very promising start. I was fascinated with the concept and the characters were well developed right off the bat. Near the end of part 1 one, though, things took a turn for the paranormal and baffling. To be honest, I am still not quite sure what actually happened! So I’ll just chalk this one up as not for me.

2 Zombie Chickens – Entertaining but not essential




THOSE THAT WAKE comes out next month on March 21, 2011. Find out more about it at goodreads.

See index of all dystopian reviews at Presenting Lenore

14 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry it was a stinker.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Kathy - I would not say it was a stinker. It just wasn't my personal cup of tea! I did think it was very well written, and readers who like paranormal in their dystopias may well really enjoy it!

Jennifer said...

Oh, no. I hate that feeling of not really knowing what happened. :(

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

Too bad this one didn't live up to its beginning.

My personal opinion is that a book should live by the rules of the world it introduces in the beginning. It's really hard to pull off introducing paranormal aspects midway through a book.

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I concur. Great concept, but the plot and the characters just didn't ever really take off for me.

: (

Shweta said...

The concept definitely has a great potential. Too bad it didn't live up to the expectations..I too don't like paranormal with dystopia so I totally get what ur trying to say :)

Unknown said...

I can't help but think that when a novel goes off in a completely surprising direction, the author might not have started with a strong outline plot and was more likely to have been writing spontaneously. I say this because I know I have done that before. Not that I'm an author but I am dabblign with writing.

Anyway, I really liked the premise but if you weren't sure what even happened I'm going to pass.

Tammy said...

I'll get this one through my library. Thanks for the honest review.

Michelle said...

UGH, I have this one for review. Two zombie chickens doesn't bode well!

Zibilee said...

I don't like it when I am reading a book and all of sudden, I don't know what's going on anymore. It is sort of happening right with the book I am reading, and I am not quite sure what to make of it.

Anonymous said...

I just read this and I have to say it was bizarre and just unbelievable. I couldnt wrap my head around the "villain"

Jordyn said...

I'm reading this one right now. I'm not sure it's paranormal (but then, I haven't finished it yet) -- feels much more sci-fi to me, but creepy whatever it is. Hopefully by the end I'll know what's happened. lol

Rhiannon said...

Yah I have to agree it wasn't for me.
Once they ended up in the pocket loop world I felt lost, and I just couldn't get back on board after that.
TheDiaryofaBookworm.com

Silver Thistle said...

I reviewed this a while back and felt a bit like you did...no clue what happened at the end there...

However, that aside I loved it! I've read some great books this year but for some reason this particular one keeps popping up whenever I try to think of what my favourite read of 2011 is.

I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much but I just lapped it up.