Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Review: Wired by Robin Wasserman

WIRED is the final book in the triology that started with SKINNED.  I reviewed both SKINNED and CRASHED together, and now after having read WIRED, I have to say that the series gets progressively better. 

SKINNED introduces Lia, a popular rich girl whose brain is downloaded into a new "mech" body (think cylons from Battlestar Galactica - the human looking ones) and is all "woe-is-me" for the remainder of the book.  I enjoyed CRASHED much more because we really start to get a feel for the post apocalyptic world at large and Lia becomes less anoyingly self-obsessed.  WIRED is the twist-filled pay-off I had been hoping for all along.

That's not to say it's perfect.  I didn't always understand individual character motivations enough to completely buy into them  - i.e. sometimes they seemed to do what they did purely for plot reasons.  Fortunately, the plot is engaging and original enough that I didn't mind (too much). The ending is bizarre, and yet fitting.


SKINNED is available in hardcover now.  Find out more about it and the rest of the series at the author's website.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love a series that improves as it goes along, but I'm not sure this is the one for me.

Erin said...

I've really liked this series. It's strange and thought provoking and always full of surprises. I just realized the final book came out the other day. Can't wait to pick it up!

Liviania said...

I am glad this trilogy is complete so that I can read them all together.

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

Hmm, I have the first two out from the library, actually...and, er, have for a while. ^^;; I should read them soon...I think I'm out of renewals!

I'm glad to know this is a series that gets better as it goes on, so if I'm iffy at first, I'll stick with it!

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, very intrigued by this series. Thanks for the overview!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Interesting that the series gets better as it progresses...I might have to try this one.

Zibilee said...

I love it when a series gets better in each successive book, and it sounds like this is just quirky enough to find it's way onto my list. Thanks for the excellent review, Lenore!

Jenny said...

Oh never heard of this series before, I'll have to go back and check out the first two books:) Thanks for sharing!