Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What I bought for...myself!

I just made a series of orders from amazon since I'll be back in the states soon.

Books:

The Hollow by Jessica Verday. Jessica pitched this to me and I told her I'd buy it since I knew I wouldn't be able to get to it before it came out anyway.

Terrier (The Legend of Beka Cooper, Book 1) by Tamora Pierce. Tirzah of The Compulsive Reader gave me the complete rundown (via e-mail) on Tamora Pierce's novels and convinced me I needed to get this.

Egg Drop by Mini Grey. Amanda's fault: I saw this very quirky picture book over at A Patchwork of Books.

Obernewtyn: The Obernewtyn Chronicles 1 by Isobelle Carmody. Rhiannon's fault. Her review of this dystopian "classic" on her blog made me drool!

How They Met, and Other Stories by David Levithan. After reading his short story in Geektastic, I must have more! I am not sure how I found this collection. Probably browsing on amazon.

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler. A POC dystopia recommended to me by Susan of Color Online. Here's her list of other great POC YA titles.

Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, Book 2) by Kathleen Duey. I bought book 1 after meeting Kathleen at SCBWI Bologna 2008. And I need book 2 so I can start book 1 which I hear has a big cliffhanger.

The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) by Tim Hauser. I have a ton of these Art of...Pixar books. I haven't seen the movie yet (still not out in Germany), but the book looks gorgeous.

How It Ends by Laura Weiss. I read an interview with the author on the Simon and Schuster website and WoWed the novel.

Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) Margaret Peterson Haddix. Another dystopia I haven't read yet. This one's the fault of a review I read on Bart's Bookshelf.

Half-Minute Horrors. I first saw this story collection on Shelf Awareness and WoWed it.


Non-books


Dexter: The Complete Third Season [DVD]. My brother's fault.

Flight of the Conchords: The Complete Second Season [DVD]. My friend Jeremy's fault.

True Blood: The Complete First Season (HBO Series) [DVD]. Alea's fault via twitter!

Dollhouse: Season One [DVD]. My Friend Amy's fault!

Far Regina Spektor [Audio CD]. Author Courtney Summers convinced via twitter that I needed the whole CD when at first I planned to get just a couple of songs on iTunes.

43 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't see Susan's rec to you, but Parable of the Sowers just found it's way into my house as well. I'm really really interested in Octavia Butler's work and also in love with the cover to the sequel, Parable of the Talents.

Lenore Appelhans said...

That's cool Amy! I probably should have bought the sequel with it, but I seriously had 50 books on my to buy list and had to whittle it down drastically...

Erica said...

Wow. Lots of stuff! Enjoy! :)

Ana S. said...

Oooh, Far! You do need the whole CD! In fact, you need all of her albums if you don't have them yet :P

The books sound awesome, too. And I need to get myself Pushing Daisies on DVD as well.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks Erica!

Yeah, I have the first two CDs Nymeth. I probably like Begin to Hope a bit more than her first one.

courtney summers said...

Yes! I'm so glad! Far is so worth owning in its entirety!!! :)

Unknown said...

Great list. I LOVED Skin Hunger and can't wait to read the sequel. Pushing Daisies and Dexter are amazing! Enjoy.

ANovelMenagerie said...

My girls loved Pushing Daisies!

caite said...

wow...I love a Big Box from the Evil Amazon!

I need to watch the second season of Dexter still.

Alea said...

Muhahaha! I'm placing an order in September for my birthday! I've watched the first half of Flight of the Concords Season 2, so so funny!

Khy said...

DAVID LEVITHAN!!!!!!

Lana said...

I'm a giant fan of Tamora Pierce's novels, and I always love to see new people reading them. I hope you enjoy!

Marie Cloutier said...

Dollhouse was a fun show- the star is from the town next to mine & it was a big hit in Boston. :-) Hope you like it :-)

Rebs @ Book-Rants said...

You'll love Tamora Pierce. If you haven't already you should read her first series Song Of The Lioness, some of my fav books!

I can't wait for The Hollow, I'm thinking I might have to do an Amazon order soon too.

If you like Joss Whedon (dollhouse) you should look into the show Firefly as well

Lenore Appelhans said...

Courtney - Can't wait to get it!

Kate - I've heard a lot of great things about SKIN HUNGER.

Sheri - My husband too!

Caite - I bet you do ;)

Alea - Yes, you appear to be the winner of evil influences here!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Khy - I googled to see if you had reviewed that one, but I couldn't see that you had. Have you read it?

Lana - Can't believe it has taken me this long to check her out.

Marie - Cool! The female lead?

rebrebs - I adored Firefly!!

bermudaonion said...

It looks like Alea is a bad influence! You'll have so much fun getting your package!

Natascha De Marco said...

I want Pushing Daisies seaon 2 and DollHouse, just because she is Faith from Buffy.

Zibilee said...

Wow! It looks like you've got some great reads coming. I really liked the Parable of the Sower, and hope you enjoy it too.

Zibilee said...

Wow! It looks like you've got some great reads coming. I really liked the Parable of the Sower, and hope you enjoy it too.

Zibilee said...

Wow! It looks like you've got some great reads coming. I really liked the Parable of the Sower, and hope you enjoy it too.

Ann-Kat (Today, I Read...) said...

I've been keeping my eye on The Hollow...please do let us know how you like it.

I thought Pushing Daisies was one of the cutest (and most creative) shows that I'd come across in a while.

Nice haul, by the way. :D

Tasha said...

Nice collection there! I've seen a few episodes of Flight of the Conchords at a friend's house, but I don't actually know what the show is or is about.

Beth Kephart said...

True Blood!!!!

(just saying)

(written by a really literary guy that I once was friends with. such an interesting turn in his career.)

Alea said...

Beth, beth... i didn't know it was possible for me to like you more! But that just did it! Wooo!

Serena said...

Wow, that's a big haul. Enjoy it.

Marie said...

Have you read Boy Meets Boy? That's one of my favorite Levithan books.

Anonymous said...

Dexter!!!!! Anyway, lots of interesting stuff you bought.

A Passion For Books said...

Lots of goodies! I just pre-ordered The Hollow last night. Exciting!

Donna Gambale said...

I found myself addicted to Dollhouse, and you will too if you're a Joss Whedon fan. And I think I just added How It Ends to my list!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I see you'll have a really great time but these books and DVDs! Dollhouse was good; the first episodes were ok, but it really gets better as the season goes on. As for the books, I've read Obernewtyn and enjoyed it! I should be getting to the next one in the series soon!

Linda said...

wow, you are going to have quite the box of goodies from Amazon when you get here, aren't you?

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I heart Pushing Daisies soo much-I'm sad they ended it. And I totally need to get started on True Blood-I've heard great things.

Rhiannon Hart said...

Oooh, middle-grade YA: Among the Hiddwen looks pretty cool. I can't wait to hear what you think of Obernewtyn!

Michelle B. said...

So much brilliance and awesomeness in this list! Especially Dexter and Regina Spektor. <3

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of your shopping spree! True Blood is a lot of fun, so have no fear: Alea didn't force something awful on you ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Nice choices!
I need to get Sacred Scars. I did audio for book one, but think Sacred Scars will be too long for audio. It would take me a year to listen.

Darlene said...

Yaaaaay! It's always so much fun buying stuff for yourself. I by accident had a bit of a shopping spree on Amazon last night. lol.

Memory said...

Ooh, Pushing Daisies! I really need to get the second season on DVD, but I'm waiting until it goes down in price just a little bit more. Newly released DVD sets are pretty expensive here, but the prices drop fairly quickly.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great list. Enjoy them!

Briana said...

Awesome! I want to read The Hollow, it sounds so great.

-Briana

Beth F said...

I love Dexter and can't wait for the next season to start. True Blood ... well you know my thoughts there.

H said...

So nothing is your fault? :)