Saturday, August 1, 2009

Where I've Been (US edition)

Saw this over at Florinda's and since I've been to almost every US state, I thought it would be fun to examine how much I've been where. My dad has at least touched a toe in all 50 states, but the rules of the meme going around say airports don't count, and states driven through, or states where you stopped at the visitors' center or a restaurant while driving through, don't count either. So I wonder how many states he'd have then?

You're supposed to mark all the states (and DC) you've been in with an X, and you can mark the ones where you've lived with an O. But I'm going to annotate. Because I'm rad like that.

Alabama - at least a week
Alaska - never been
Arizona - at least an overnight
Arkansas - driven through
California - lived here
Colorado - lived here
Connecticut - day trip
Delaware - day trip
Florida - at least a week
Georgia - at least an overnight
Hawaii - never been
Idaho - at least an overnight
Illinois - at least an overnight
Indiana - at least a week
Iowa - at least an overnight
Kansas - lived here
Kentucky -at least a week
Louisiana - never been
Maine - at least an overnight
Maryland - at least a week
Massachusetts - day trip
Michigan - at least a week
Minnesota - never been
Mississippi - day trip
Missouri - at least a week
Montana - at least a week
Nebraska - day trip
Nevada - at least a week
New Hampshire - day trip
New Jersey - driven through
New Mexico - at least an overnight
New York - at least a week
North Carolina - driven through
North Dakota - lived here
Ohio - lived here
Oklahoma - lived here
Oregon - at least a week
Pennsylvania - at least an overnight
Rhode Island - at least an overnight
South Carolina - at least a week
South Dakota - at least a week
Tennessee - at least an overnight
Texas - at least a week
Utah - lived here
Vermont - day trip
Virginia - at least a week
Washington - at least an overnight
West Virginia - driven through
Wisconsin - airport only
Wyoming - at least an overnight

Washington DC - at least a week

So for you stat lovers out there, that's:
7 states lived in
16 states visited for at least a week (may not be consecutive days)
12 states with at least an overnight (but less than a full week)
7 states on a day trip (where I specifically went to an event or attraction in the state)

+

4 states only driven through
1 state where I was in the airport only
4 states I've never set foot in at all

So according to this, that's 42 down, 9 to go! What about you?

18 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've never been very far west, so I'm way behind you. You and Candace need to plan a trip to Louisiana and Alaska, since those are the only 2 states she's never been and you need to go to them too.

Melanie said...

You've never been to Louisiana? You must go! The swamps down there are lovely. Wow, I've definitely got some catching up to do. I've yet to go to any of the midwest states. It seems that I tend to stick to either of the coasts.

H said...

That would be a grand total of 0 states visited for me! I do want to visit America though :)

Amy said...

Wow! You've lived a lot of places! So jealous! I'm reading north of beautiful right now, coincidentally enough, and I think it would be cool to live in China. (though that's not the US). Hawaii sounds really great too.
-Amy

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

you lived in Utah?! So did I!
and California too? Me too!
Ohio?! ME TOO!

WOW! So much alike....

trish said...

I live in California, and have visited Hawaii, New York, Washington State, Washington DC, Idaho, Vermont, and I think that's it. I'm nowhere near as cool...err...well-traveled as you. :)

Florinda said...

You're very well-traveled! You should make a European edition now. Glad you played along!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Mary - Was your family military? That's why we lived those places.

Florinda - Great idea! I'll have to do that next week.

Beth F said...

I've been to every state but Louisiana and Alaska. I've been in each one for more than just toe-touching!

Beth F said...

OMG! I just read Kathy's comment. LOL!! Yes, Lenore, we should plan a jaunt to Louisiana and then fly up to Alaska. Too funny.

Thao said...

You travel a lot don't you, look at that long list. I wish I could go to those places too.

Kelly said...

I've got the western US, western Canada and Alaska covered, but..alas...nothing east of Arizona, eastern Montana, or Utah for me..I seem to always get stuck visiting the places where I lived for thirty years.

I drove the Alaska Canada highway twice though, by myself with two kids under 6.What was I thinking??? My husband was working in Kodiak and we wanted to spend the summer with him. Alaska is an incredible state. You don't get the full magnitude of its size unless you drive through it at least once. Flying in is just too deceiving.

Nikki Carson (Katie) said...

For me, its only one state lives in.

Rhiannon Hart said...

Here's another meme for you! I tagged you on my blog. http://rhiannon-hart.blogspot.com/2009/08/abcs-meme.html

Amee said...

I can't believe you lived in seven different states! Was your family military?

Anyway, if I can only count states I've been in for more than an airport or drive through or restaurant visit, then I only have 3! Otherwise it's 8. I like that number better. :P

wdebo said...

Cool gonna do this!!

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be embarrassed to do this. Off hand, I can only think of 11 states that I've done more than just driven through.

Laina said...

I've been to Michigan!! And, yeah, that's it. Plus now I'd need a passport and I don't have one. I've been to four provinces, though. That's not bad. :)