Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Book Blogger Book Club

The First Book Blogger Book Club is a way to let people know about the great titles that schools and programs serving low-income kids can get through First Book, and get people talking about books!

This month the book club read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, which I read and reviewed way back in June of 2008.  Here's a excerpt of my review:

Two of my favorite themes in literature are coincidence and the search for identity --And when you get a book about how coincidence can have a part in shaping identity, all the better.


Frankie is a strategist, a debater, and someone who wants to be a real “off-roader”. She asserts her unique identity by using “neglected positives” (i.e. ept to mean skilled – from inept) in everyday speech, by challenging the unwritten rules of who sits where in the caf, and of course by covertly taking over the basset hounds.


Frankie is a great character – one that I immensely enjoyed spending time with!

Check out the book club!

3 comments:

Beth F said...

Sounds like an awesome program.

Zibilee said...

I agree with Beth, this sounds like an awesome idea, and I am going to check it out.

Michelle said...

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I had no idea and I'm now totally on board!