Thursday, November 13, 2008

Book Review: The Grift by Debra Ginsberg

Marina has been working as a psychic since she was a child, but she doesn’t believe in the gift. She earns her living by being able to read people and being able to tell them what they want to hear. So she’s pretty shocked when she one day actually does get the gift – she can see dead people, see the future, and read people’s minds. And she’s also shocked to learn that her years long “grift” (defined as getting money under false pretences) was actually more lucrative and popular with clients than the real thing.

This novel is billed as a thriller – and there is a murder mystery involved – but it’s also a love story and a great character study of a woman who suddenly really becomes what she always pretended to be. I really enjoyed reading about Marina and her journey of self discovery and empathized with her having to deal with all her annoying and self absorbed clients (whose travails could have been cut down a bit as I felt they were the weakest link here). The author relies a bit too much on showing us the thoughts of the characters when we could get the same information with a bit of action or dialogue, but that is a small quibble. The murder mystery is well done – pretty much everyone is suspect – and the quick paced plot keeps you turning the pages.

The Grift is out in hardcover now.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this title, but had no idea what the book was about. Your review makes me want to read it.

Michele said...

Sounds like a good combination between my favorite genre - mystery - with good characters. Adding it to my tbr! Thanks!

Michele said...

I thought the author's name sounded familiar. When adding this to my tbr, I found I read another of her's - Blind Submission. I read it in early 2007 and gave it 4.5/5 stars on LibraryThing. Even more reason to read this one!

Alea said...

I hope to be reading this one in the next few weeks :D

darbyscloset said...

Sounds like an Agatha mystery...where everyone is a suspect.
Thanks for the review, for I too had no idea what the book was about!
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

stacey @ bookthirty said...

Some elements of this story remind me of the YA book A Drowned Maiden's Hair. Have you read it? FABULOUS! This book looks interesting as well. Thanks for the review!

Beth Kephart said...

I love your range as a reader and reviewer, Lenore. It's entirely wonderful.

Lenore Appelhans said...

bermudaonion - glad I could be of help :)

michele - cool! I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for letting me know.

alea - I look forward to reading your take on it.

darby - Ooh LOVE Agatha's 10 Little Indians...

Stacy - I haven't read it, but it
is on my wish list.

Beth - Yeah, I do have ecclectic taste!

caite said...

yep, I liked The Grift a lot too and gave it a good review as well. A very entertaining book.

Luanne said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - I did as well!

Marie Cloutier said...

Sounds like just the kind of book I'd like- a thriller combined with a character study. I'm going to have to look it up! :-) Great review!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Michelle - I read Blind Submission this past spring (you can see my review here: http://thewrittenword.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/blind-submission/) and really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

Anonymous said...

A fast-paced thrilled sounds like a nice change for me!

Tell me, Lenore, would you recommend this to a male reader, too? I'm thinking of my husband who tends to read more "formula" mysteries.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Interesting question Dawn. It is not really a formula thriller - is is not written in short chapters with a cliffhanger chapter ending to keep you reading for example - but if he's willing to expand his thriller reading horizons, then he might give it a try.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard of a similar story before but I can't remember where...

Lisa said...

This one is sitting on my bookshelf and I am really looking forward to it.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the review. It looks good!