Monday, November 17, 2008

Bookworm Award meme

Serena at Savvy Verse and Wit has given me this award which comes with the following instructions:

Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence, as well as two to five sentences following there.

Well, the pile closest to me is board books and picture books all under 56 pages, so the next closest book is Words That Work: It's not what you say, It's what people hear by Dr. Frank Luntz.

"When I talk about the loss of conversational language, at least in the written form, I certainly don't mean to imply that all changes are for the worse. Language is a dynamic, living thing. What were once fresh metaphors become so widespread that they harden into cliche."

That is not the quote I would have chosen to represent this very interesting book written by the language guru who for example turned the term "estate tax" into the term "death tax" consequently turning more voters against it. But I followed the rules!

6 comments:

Serena said...

Thanks for participating. It sounds like an interesting read.

AHHH, the death tax...I write about that for one of the newsletter clients I have....

Lenore Appelhans said...

Really? How cool! I love how you can totally change your mind about something just based on what it's called.

Beth Kephart said...

Well. Now. What an interesting challenge. And discovery.

Alyce said...

This book sounds like fun. I like books that talk about words, and I thought the quote was good too.

Lenore Appelhans said...

If you think that quote is good, you should read the rest of the book!!

Marie Cloutier said...

Still a great quote though! :-)