Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Waiting On Wednesday (8) The Rapture by Liz Jensen

I read a very inventive book last year called My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time about a prositute/housekeeper in 19th century Denmark who finds a time machine in the basement of the house she's cleaning and is transported to modern London where she falls in love (read an excerpt here). The author is Liz Jensen (who also wrote the well-reviewed The Ninth Life of Louis Drax) and when I saw she has a new one coming up with an apocalyptic premise and a spooky cover, I instantly thought "Gotta have it!"

Here's the description from Bloomsbury:

In a merciless summer of biblical heat and destructive winds, Gabrielle Fox's main concern is a personal one: to rebuild her career as a psychologist after a shattering car accident. But when she is assigned Bethany Krall, one of the most dangerous teenagers in the country, she begins to fear she has made a terrible mistake. Raised on a diet of evangelistic hellfire, Bethany is violent, delusional, cruelly intuitive and insistent that she can foresee natural disasters - a claim which Gabrielle interprets as a symptom of doomsday delusion. But when catastrophes begin to occur on the very dates Bethany has predicted, and a brilliant, gentle physicist enters the equation, the apocalyptic puzzle intensifies and the stakes multiply. Is the self-proclaimed Nostradamus of the psych ward the ultimate manipulator, or could she be the harbinger of imminent global cataclysm on a scale never seen before? And what can love mean in 'interesting times'? A haunting story of human passion and burning faith set against an adventure of tectonic proportions, The Rapture is an electrifying psychological thriller that explores the dark extremes of mankind's self-destruction in a world on the brink.

The Rapture comes out June 1, 2009 in the UK and July 14, 2009 in the US. What books are you looking forward to this week?

12 comments:

Alea said...

Wow that sounds scary!

Lenore Appelhans said...

yes, but fascinating all the same. I guess I don't mind that kind of scary, but I don't like horror.

Rol said...

I'm looking forward to that one now - it sounds right up my street. Need to check out some Liz Jensen, it seems.

Serena said...

looks like a good one to keep you on your toes.

Darlene said...

This sounds so good-I love anything to do with time travel.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Rol - You really do. I think only a couple of her books are available in the states, but she has quite a few in the UK several of which were longlisted for the Orange prize.

Serena - You are right there :)

Dar - Well, I don't think The Rapture has any time travel, but you'd love My Dirty Book of Stolen Time which you don't even have to wait for since it's been out for some time now. It was one of my favorites last year.

Amanda said...

Wow. This book seems very powerfull. I can't wait.

Ladytink_534 said...

Sounds like an interesting book!

There are a couple of books I'm looking forward to but at this very second, I'm really wanting to read Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

This sounds like something I would really enjoy - I'll have to add it to my wishlist :)

Book Sp(l)ot said...

I just bought My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time off Amazon (they had one-as in literally one-for $5) because that sounds like fun... And that new one sounds like one I'll have to look for when it comes out :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

book spot - Hope you like it as much as I do! I just checked on amazon and saw that they still have one copy of the hardcover for $18 and the paperback for half that but it takes 2-3 weeks to get.

Anna said...

Sounds like an interesting book. And I love the cover!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric