Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (21) The Heights by Brian James

I loved Wuthering Heights when I read it as a teen (though, no, I don't think it depicts an ideal romantic relationship by any stretch of the imagination) and I like modern retellings of classics, so this new title by Zombie Blondes Author Brian James (due April 28, 2009) definitely caught my eye.

Here's the description from the macmillan website:

Henry liked to imagine his life began that cold rainy day in San Francisco when Mr. Earnshaw found him shivering by the side of the road. That was the day Henry met Catherine. For Henry, Catherine is like a precious gift. She pushes away his angry thoughts and makes him feel safe and calm. And though Mr. Earnshaw, a widow, raises the orphan and Catherine as brother and sister, their love for each other goes much deeper. They vow to always be together.

But everything changes when Mr. Earnshaw dies suddenly and Hindley, Mr. Earnshaw's own son, gains control of the family finances. Furiously jealous, Hindley never accepted Henry as a true member of the family. He works to sever Henry's relationship with Catherine and the violent rage Henry has harbored since he was a child bubbles to the surface. . . .

Contemporizing the classic novel, Wuthering Heights, notable YA author, Brian James delives into the dark nature of obsessive love, the social injustices of class, and the self-destructive power of revenge in this emotionally raw unforgettable offering.

Ooh - sends chills up my spine! Do you like modern retellings of classics? And if so which ones would you recommend reading? Which classics would you like to see updated?

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

This sounds interesting, and I'll keep an eye out for it! I like retellings, and I especially liked Gordon Korman's "Jake, Reinvented," which is a modern-day YA retelling of The Great Gatsby. :)

stargirlreads said...

Pretty cover

Anna said...

I've read one modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice; it was good, not great. I think it's a good idea, if done right. This one sounds worth checking out.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Alea said...

Ooooh! Classic retelling seem cool, though I should probably start with the actual classics first. I've read far less than I should have. I really like the girl's hair on the cover!

Busy Bookblogger said...

This sounds soo good! I am excited to read it! I read Linda Klein's Ophelia which was sort of like a re-telling of Shakespeare's Hamlet from a different p.o.v. and Margaret Meacham's A Mid-Semester Night's Dream which was cute, but neither were as intense as this one sounds!I love modern re-tellings of Shakespeare (obviously!)

Steph Su said...

Ooh cool. I tried to get through WH twice but couldn't. Maybe I'll be able to finish this one, though, and perhaps be inspired to pick up WH again...?

I haven't read many good retellings of classics but one that stands out in my mind is The Family Fortune by Laurie Horowitz, which retells Austen's Persuasion. Check it out, if you haven't already!

Thao said...

I've not read any modern retellings but I'm sure I'll like them ^^

Beth Kephart said...

I will rely on you to reveal to us to power of this book once you have read it......

Ana S. said...

That is a beautiful cover. I can't think of any retellings of classics that I've read, but this sounds like something I'd enjoy.

MySharonAnne said...

I just heard back from Nadya please let me know is she gets back to you.

Ladytink_534 said...

I don't think I've read too many modern retellings unless you count Fank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars series- really love those! I love books that include characters and things from classics :)

Readingjunky said...

Thanks for mentioning this one. Sounds great.

Unknown said...

Oh! Hmmmm...you know, I mostly read fairy tale retellings. I don't think I've ever come across a classic retelling. Now I'll have to look into it... Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You know, I saw that cover a while back, and just kept going. Had I known what it was about I would have taken a closer look. Thanks for featuring it!

Anonymous said...

I do like modern retellings, although I can't think of one to recommend offhand :)

Love the cover of this book! It looks like something you'd see on the back of a deck of cards.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm overwhelmed with the excitement you all have for my novel. I hope you get a chance to check it out. I'm very proud with the way it turned.