Saturday, April 10, 2010

Read-a-thon Book Review: Tethered by Amy MacKinnon

An undertaker who has cut herself off from life due to childhood abuse learns to live again via a case concerning an abused young girl.

TETHERED was a remarkably layered read and unlike anything I’ve read for quite some time. While the plot is driven forward by a murder mystery, it is mainly a character study of Clara the undertaker and why she feels more comfortable dealing with the dead than with the living. Clara’s story in deeply infused with sadness and the narrative had me alternatively outraged, depressed, and surprised by its complexity.

As a readathon read, it served me well, but probably only because I read it first with fresh eyes. It does get off to a bit of a slow start, with a rather off-putting scene of Clara preparing a body for a wake, but once I got into it, I couldn’t put it down. And then, once I finished, I had to go back and look for the clues that were dropped that I had missed. Very clever indeed.

TETHERED is out in paperback now. Find out more about it at the author’s website.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm impressed that you're able to write up a review during the readathon! I like the mini style reviews as they seem to hit the main points of the books. This sounds like an interesting book.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Well you certainly made quick work of that one. Good luck today Lenore!

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

You've already read and reviewed a book?! I'm amazed.

Kathleen said...

I'm not sure I've ever read a book where the main character is an undertaker! That is what I call a unique premise. Happy reading today...I am impressed that you have already written a review during the Read a Thon.

bermudaonion said...

I'm impressed that you've already read a book and even reviewed it!

Dwayne said...

Wow, this sounds...unique.

christina said...

I have this book on my shelf and you're the first person that I've read who's done a review!

SuziQoregon said...

I've had this one on my TBR list for a long time. For some reason I haven't gotten around to actually checking it out from the library yet. I keep thinking that it's one that I might like, but I'm not sure. So knowing it's got a bit of a slow start helps.