Thursday, October 15, 2009

Book Review: Half Minute Horrors by various

The very short stories in HALF MINUTE HORRORS are full of twists, creep-outs, and shiver-inducing scenarios.

There is such a variety here, many penned by famous authors, that you are sure to find some you love, and if you read some you don’t love too, well at least you didn’t invest too much time.

My fave three stories were:

- An Easy Gig by MT Anderson about a babysitting job gone really, REALLY wrong

- A Very Short Story by Holly Black about a mother tucking her daughter into bed and getting the typical “are there monsters?” questions but with an atypical ending

- Skittering by Tui T. Sutherland that brings out the arachnophobe in me and explains the reason why you should NEVER kill spiders

This collection also marks only the second book Daniel has actually finished reading this year, so I highly recommend it to reluctant readers.

HALF MINUTE HORRORS is available in hardcover now. Contributers include Margaret Atwood, Libba Bray, Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Lethem, Gregory Maguire, Melissa Marr, Joyce Carol Oates, James Patterson, Francine Prose, Lemony Snicket among many others.

18 comments:

Kate said...

This sounds like a really fun read. Half-a-minute per story, I can handle that.

Zibilee said...

This looks like a really fun book, and perfect for Halloween. Knowing me, I would probably read them all in one sitting! I really love the cover as well. Thanks for spotlighting this one.

bermudaonion said...

Well, if Daniel liked it, it must be good!

Molly said...

this sounds really great! And I can't believe all the terrific authors who contributed their horrific half minutes.

Kristen M. said...

My post on this book is going up next week but the Holly Black was one of my favorites too. So creepy and sad! This was a fun little book that we were "waiting on" forever, huh?

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

"and if you read some you don’t love too, well at least you didn’t invest too much time."

You're so pragmatic Lenore. I love it!

Alice said...

Wow, I see a great list of author names there. Sounds really creepy (in a good way). :)

Liviania said...

That's a lot of authors I like in one place.

Anonymous said...

I love the cover of this novel. And like Zibilee said it is wonderful for Halloween. Thanks for the review!

TERI REES WANG said...

Ooh...I love a quick "Boo"! ;P

Thao said...

This could be a Halloween gift. It's ironic but I actually find the cover funny.

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

What a great book! I'm definitely going to check it out!

Marie Cloutier said...

Sounds like a lot of fun for Halloween! :-)

Sadako said...

These sound like a lot of fun. Cool review!! :D

Ladytink_534 said...

Love this cover! So far there are three authors stories that I'd love to read here lol.

Gwendolyn B. said...

Perfect time of year for this one!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Awesome! I'm relieved to hear you gave this a thumbs-up :)
Initially I was totally stoked about the Gaiman story, but now I'm even more excited knowing that Holly Black and Margaret Atwood are there too!!

Andi said...

I finished this one this morning and LOVED IT!!! Anderson's story was one of my favorites as well. Genuinely creepy.