Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (39) The Things that Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

I know I haven't done a Waiting on Wednesday in a long time, but the Frankfurt Book Fair made my wishlist grow by a mile (like I needed that) so I'm back in the fray!

First up is one I also saw on Shelf Awareness last week - a new entry in the apocalyptic lit genre that gives me goosebumps (and what's with that feather on the cover? - freaky!).

The description from amazon:

How far would you go to protect your family? Ann Brooks never thought she’d have to answer that question. Then she found her limits tested by a crisis no one could prevent. Now, as her neighborhood descends into panic, she must make tough choices to protect everyone she loves from a threat she cannot even see.

In this chillingly urgent novel, Carla Buckley confronts us with the terrifying decisions we are forced to make when ordinary life changes overnight.

A year ago, Ann and Peter Brooks were just another unhappily married couple trying–and failing–to keep their relationship together while they raised two young daughters. Now the world around them is about to be shaken as Peter, a university researcher, comes to a startling realization: A virulent pandemic has made the terrible leap across the ocean to America’s heartland. And it is killing fifty out of every hundred people it touches.

As their town goes into lockdown, Peter is forced to return home–with his beautiful graduate assistant. But the Brookses’ safe suburban world is no longer the refuge it once was. Food grows scarce, and neighbor turns against neighbor in grocery stores and at gas pumps. And then a winter storm strikes, and the community is left huddling in the dark. Trapped inside the house she once called home, Ann Brooks must make life-or-death decisions in an environment where opening a door to a neighbor could threaten all the things she holds dear.

Carla Buckley’s poignant debut raises important questions to which there are no easy answers, in an emotionally riveting tale of one family facing unimaginable stress.

This one comes out on February 9, 2010. So not TOO long to wait...

WoW is hosted by Jill - head over there to see what other bloggers are looking forward to this week.

15 comments:

Jill said...

So glad you're back...I'm waiting on this one, too. Great pick!

bermudaonion said...

That's on my wish list too!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Ohh hadn't heard of this one before but it sounds great. Thanks for the summary!

Nancy said...

Great choice! I have not heard of this book before now and really think it sounds amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

Kailana said...

Sounds like a good read! Thanks for adding it to my wish list. :)

Rhiannon Hart said...

YAY!! Adding to my can't-wait-for list! Never heard of it before.

Anonymous said...

Great choice. I hadn't heard of it before.

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I'm waiting for this too, it looks great!

caite said...

I saw that one too, but it really seemed just a bit too creepy, in a real way, for me.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Wow! This sounds like an awesome read, one I must read! I'm adding it to my (infinite) list too!

Alice said...

Looks like an awesome read! I'm waiting on many, many books.

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Not TOO too long lol. It sounds amazing! Excellent choice Lenore =)

Zibilee said...

I am waiting on this one also!

Melissa said...

I saw this one in Shelf Awareness too! I think it sounds really good.

sharon54220 said...

I just finished this books the other day. It is a very good book and hard to put down. It will make you think a little.

I hope you all enjoy it too.

sharon54220@gmail.com