Sunday, October 18, 2009

Book Signing at the Frankfurt Book Fair: Shaun Tan

One of the major highlights of the Frankfurt Book Fair for me this year was the interview and book signing with Shaun Tan, known for the wordless graphic novel THE ARRIVAL and the illustrated short story collection TALES FROM OUTER SUBURBIA.


Shaun was interviewed by a German journalist mainly in regard to THE ARRIVAL which took Shaun 5 years to develop and illustrate. He began thinking it would be a 32 page picture book but while researching immigrant stories, be noticed how detailed they were and he realized he would have to show this detail in order to do the immigrant experience justice which would require many, many more pages (128 to be exact).

Shaun used himself as the model for the main character. He bought a suit and props and also had friends help him act out scenes so he could film them. These films as well as old photographs from the early 20th century helped him achieve the look he was going for.


After the interview, Shaun signed books for us. Daniel and I got our copies of THE ARRIVAL and TALES FROM OUTER SUBURBIA (a gift from Dar) signed. We had him sign them to both of us, so then Shaun joked that we'd better stay together.

16 comments:

Suzanne Yester said...

What a wonderful treat! I love the way he signed your book too! I have a copy of The Arrival and thought it was beautiful. Very interesting how he developed the authentic look by using props...

Ana S. said...

How cool that you got to meet him I've yet to read any of his books, but I just know I'll love his stuff. I browsed through The Arrival at a bookshop once and it was amazing stuff.

Andi said...

SO cool! I would probably trade my big toes for his autograph.

Kate said...

I hope you enjoyed it.I've not read any of his books =)

Darlene said...

How awesome that you got to meet Shaun Tan and get the books signed! That's great!

Linda said...

How cool Lenore!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

How cool is that! I love it when authors do more than just sign :)

Alissa Grosso said...

That's awesome. I think he's very talented, and loved the story behind his inspiration for the drawings in The Arrival.

Staci said...

I literally took two weeks to read or "view" this beautiful book. I am totally amazed by his work and the originality that The Arrival contains. Would be awesome to meet him in person!

Heather Zundel said...

Oh that has to be one of the coolest things. That is such a stunning book, one of my favorites. Lucky lucky you. :D

chrisa511 said...

You met Shaun Tan?! You're my idol Lenore!! You travel and see many Tori shows and then meet Shaun Tan! And he drew a little picture for you!! That's seriously like my dream event, lol. He's just amazing. So glad you got to go :)

Alice said...

This is totally cool! I'm so jealous!... :)

Tasha said...

That's great. I love the little creature in The Arrival.

Anonymous said...

very sweet!
wish i coulda been there

Serena said...

sounds like you had a great time.

Doret said...

This is so cool, I don't even care I am commenting all late. Tales From Outer Suburbia is one of my favorite books this year.