Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Frankfurt Book Fair Day 1

I like to go early on the first day of the fair, so Ann met me at 9 and we walked over. Our first destination was Hall 8.0 - the English language publishers. We mainly picked up catalogs and scanned the shelves to see if there were any titles we recognized.

The fair is noticeably smaller this year. HarperCollins stand and Simon and Schuster's stand are both half the size of last year. Penguin and Random House were the same size. I didn't get close to the books in the first three, but we were very excited to see Anna Jarzab's ALL UNQUIET THINGS and Cristina Diaz Gonzalez's THE RED UMBRELLA at RH.

Faber and Faber didn't have any galleys out like they usually do, but they seemed to have quite a few copies of Barbara Kingsolver's THE LACUNA, so I hope to get a copy of that on Sunday.

My most exciting moment was getting a galley from Hodder and Stoughton of Jasper Fforde's SHADES OF GREY, the first book in an "exciting new series". YAY!

The funniest book I saw was at Chronicle: GLAMOURPUSS - THE ENCHANTING WORLD OF KITTY WIGS. Apparently, they even have a kitty wig website.

We then headed over to check out German children books in Hall 3.0. They had a huge display for the German version of THE HUNGER GAMES and I even saw the German version of Bernard Beckett's GENESIS. I'll have to take my camera tomorrow.

24 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I'm so jealous! To be in Franfurt in the fall, and at a book fair!

I didn't know Fforde was releasing a new book! I'll definitely have to check that out!

bermudaonion said...

Book shows are so much fun! I hope you get a copy of The Lacuna too! Are Emmy and Finn going to get wigs?

Rhiannon Hart said...

Sounds like you're having fun! Cat wigs--oh no no, give the cats some dignity. They're not dogs, after all!

Lorin said...

Shades of grey?? Jealousy is unbecoming, so I'll just say: Lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

Kitty Wigs? I don't even know what to say about that one.

I'm sitting at work trying so hard not to laugh. It's not working very well.

Enjoy the fair!

Alice said...

A book fair! Kitty wigs! I like!

caite said...

wow, now I must really get a cat, just so I can make it wear those charming cat wigs!
that is very, very amusing!

Kathleen said...

Kitty wigs??? I'm speechless but I have to love that there are books for everyone!

Liviania said...

*so jealous*

Kristen M. said...

Too lucky! The Jasper Fforde is my most anticipated book of the season! I need to see if I can get a galley somewhere.

Mai said...

how did you attend the fair now?
they will still open it for the public in the last two days and i am willing to go on the 17th!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Emmy and Finn are NOT going to get wigs. They are cute and funny enough naturally ;)

Mai - I have a trade visitor pass! But yeah, come on the 17th!

Ana S. said...

Kitty wigs?? Seriously? I have no words. And yes, do take the camera and post lots of pictures!

Caitie said...

That is great! Is Hachette Book Group there? What new things do they have?

Have fun and take it all in! Some really important deals are happening all around you!

Kimberly Derting said...

So jealous, Lenore! Have fun and I hope you pick up some great books!!!

Christina Diaz Gonzalez said...

Wow! I had no idea The Red Umbrella was going to Frankfurt. I'm so excited! Thanks for updating me on where my book is travelling!

Beth F said...

Kitty wigs?!

I cannot wait to read that new Fforde book -- lucky you.

And please do take photos of the German covers.

Allie said...

I'm so jealous too! I've been obsessively reading any information I can get on Frankfurt!

Kate said...

I'm so jealous! I hope you enjoy it. And I want pictures on your blog =D

Zibilee said...

Wow! A copy of the new Jasper FForde? I am very envious! I will be excited to hear what you think of it and will be awaiting your review.

Ali said...

We were just looking at that kitty wig website yesterday. It's kinda creepy to me!

Beth Kephart said...

I want to come I want to come

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Ooh, I've actually just returned from the FBF myself (posted about it here)! It was my second time there and we were only visiting for two days (I'm not German), but still so exciting (albeit exhausting)!
I've been told that if you visit the fair during the weekend, you get a lot of free books when they're putting away the stands and don't want to take the books back, hehe. Sadly I won't be able to do that, but best of luck to you if you're going book hunting. ;)
Do you work in the publishing too?

Marie Cloutier said...

So fun. I love book fairs. Can't wait for Boston's next weekend and ALA Midwinter in January. :-) In the mean time, I'll just be jealous!