Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (40) So Much For That by Lionel Shriver

Gayle of Everyday I Write the Book blog alerted me to the fact that Lionel Shriver has a new novel coming out next March, and having really enjoyed WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN and THE POST BIRTHDAY WORLD, I am really excited about this one - and with its focus on the US health care system, it's very timely too.

Here's the blurb from amazon.co.uk

What do you pack for the rest of your life? Shepherd Knacker is bored with his humdrum existence. He's sold his successful handy-man business for a million dollars and is now ready to embark on his 'Afterlife' - a one way ticket to a small island off the coast of Africa. He tries to convince his wife Glynis to come with him, but she laughs off the idea as preposterous.There's no way she'll let Shepherd uproot the family to some far-flung African island.

When Glynis is diagnosed with an extremely rare and aggressive form of cancer, Shepherd's dreams of an exotic adventure are firmly put on hold. He devotes himself to caring for his sick wife, watching her fade before his eyes.

Shepherd's best friend Jackson knows all too well about illness. His sixteen year old daughter has spent her life dosed up on every treatment going while he and his wife Carol feed their youngest daughter sugar pills so she won't feel left out. But then Jackson undergoes a medical procedure of his own which has devastating consequences.

So Much For That is a deeply affecting novel, told with Lionel Shriver's trademark originality, intelligence and acute perception of the human condition.

Sounds good! Oh, and this appears to be the UK cover, but since I'll probably be getting the UK version anyway, it's fine for me.

WoW is hosted by Jill - head over there to see what other bloggers are looking forward to this week.

10 comments:

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Yesss, this was going to be one of my WOW picks too! I've read two other books by Ms Shriver and they were both fantastic (Kevin is one of the best books I've EVER read, completely mindblowing, and PB World was amazing too). I still have Double Fault to read and I'm looking forward to this one too! Great pick, although I can't say I'm too keen on the cover, but oh well, as long as the story's good!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I like the type treatment and the colors of this cover, but the medical? instruments are kinda wierd. Looking forward to seeing the US version.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I love We Need To Talk About Kevin and I have two other of her books to read, Double Fault & Post Birthday World. Looking forward to this one too!

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read any of Shriver's work, but lots of people have recommended We Need to Talk About Kevin to me. The fact that it's about the health care system fascinates me!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I LOVE Lionel Shriver's books. I'm so delighted to hear she has another one on the way.

Here's mine.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I've wanted to read Kevin for awhile now...guess I really need too. This one sounds great though!!

-Lauren

Zibilee said...

I haven't read anything by Shriver, but I have heard amazing things about his books. I think I want to read this one first though, it looks very moving. Great pick, I am going to be looking for this one. Thanks!

christina said...

I am thrilled to pieces to hear about this one!

Allie said...

Oh wow! I can't wait to read that. Although, I have a feeling it's one of those books that requires lots of tissues.

Jenners said...

I really enjoyed those two Lionel Shriver books too so I'm excited to hear about this one. She sure mixes it up, doesn't she? Thanks for the head up!