Sunday, November 2, 2008

Book Review: Moonstone by Marilee Brothers

15 year old Allie’s life is already pretty abnormal. She lives in a travel trailer with her deadbeat mother, her best friend is the elderly town “witch” and she has a crush on a former gang member. But her life gets even weirder after an accident with an electrical fence sets off her psychic powers, she inherits a powerful moonstone and learns about a prophesy that names her as a “star seeker” who must save the world from evil.

I really liked the flippant, almost campy tone of this book. Allie was very likeable and it was surprisingly easy to identify with her plight despite the paranormal aspects of the book. Junior is a nicely complex love interest and the relationship between Allie and her mother rang true. I wish the villains had been more than vaguely menacing, but otherwise, this first book in the Unbidden Magic series was a very enjoyable read.

If this sounds good to you, you're in luck! The Book Muncher is giving away two copies of the book here. Contest ends on Saturday, November 8th so enter now!

10 comments:

ArkieRN said...

I like paranormal books and YA so this sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the link to the giveaway. I'll go enter.

Sara said...

Sounds good! I love the description of Allie's "abnormal" life; living in a travel trailer, deadbeat mother, former gang member... can it get any better? Yeah, add some psychic powers! =P

Jennifer Rummel said...

This book looks really good. i <3 the cover.

Amber said...

Spooky - and interesting YA choice. Thanks for the review :)

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I saw this book on a couple of other blogs and it looks good. I've ordered it for my library, and I'll be adding it to my YA paranormal books to read list. (That list is getting VERY long!)

Rachael Stein said...

thanks for the linking :D

Ginny said...

This looks very interesting, I've never heard of this book. Thanks for the review!

Anna said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Not something I'd normally read, but I might check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

This book sounds really good, I'm hoping to read it soon!

Mariah

Wrighty said...

I've heard of this book and it sounds good. Great review and thanks for the link to the other contest. I'll check that out. You have lots of great reviews here. I enjoy YA books too and now I know where to come when I want to find out more about them. Thanks!