Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Library Thing Tuesday (29) + Pic of Emmy

Today's question- Blog Widgets. Do you use them? yes Do you have them on your blog? yes Do you know what I'm talking about? :-) Of course! A blog widget is that list of books "From my LibraryThing" and such, that you'll sometimes see on someone's sidebar. If you use it, do all of your books show up or do you have it set to only show certain books? All my books. Do you have a search widget, which would allow your blog readers to search your library? no Have you ever made a photomosaic of your book covers? Yes - it looks really pretty! You can find widgets and photomosaic information on the "Tools" tab in LibraryThing.
In general, I love widgets, and I think the "books in my library" widget from LibraryThing is one of the best around. Mine shows 18 books (I thought I had set it to 20, will have to check that) that I have read and even I like checking every once in a while to see which ones show up. I've been thinking of getting a widget to show which books are coming up for review like I've seen on some blogs, anyone think I should? Maybe using the one from GoodReads...that's where I have some of my TBR listed (it's a bit outdated though).

***********************************

Now that the winter cold has arrived in full force, it's once again FREEZING in our apartment. The building we live in was built in the early 20th century (one of the relative few in Frankfurt to escape bombing in WWII) and is it not well insulated. It also has very high ceilings so it's hard to keep warm without spending thousands on heating bills (beauty has its price!). So Emmy is seeking out warm places to hang out more than ever - mostly on our laps and under blankets. But she still likes to look out the window - so she now uses the one which is directly over a (antique) heater...

19 comments:

Lana said...

I remember heaters just like that when I used to live in Germany. I used to put my clothes on it during the night, so they were toasty warm when I got up :-). That was the only thing getting me out of bed on those freezing mornings.

Hope you keep warm!

Alea said...

Such a cutie, give her a big hug for me!

I've been thinking about trying to see if i could find a widget that would work for what i am currently reading, sometimes i do read maybe 2 books at the same time but what i have now only shows one book.

I like looking at my LT widget on my blog sometimes too :D

Lenore Appelhans said...

Lana - I sometimes do that too :)

Alea - Is it dorky that I just picked up Emmy, hugged her and said "This is from Alea". She meowed.

Alea said...

Awwwww! You just made me scream! I love it! :D

Anna Claire said...

That is one ridiculously adorable kitty! Smarts and beauty--obviously she's got it all ;)

Anonymous said...

Not only is Emmy cute, but she's smart!

Melissa said...

I like looking at my LT widget too! Sometimes a book will pop up that I had no idea I had...

Book Lover Lisa said...

When I had my widget set to show 10 it showed 8. Now it shows 100, so I haven't counted to make sure it really shows them all.

jlshall said...

I have an account at GoodReads, too. Also one at Shelfari. But I've never really checked out their widgets because I use LibraryThing much more often.

Poor Emmy! I know how she feels - I really hate the cold, too.

Wendi said...

Your cat is beautiful!

I like the idea of adding an "upcoming reviews" widget - I was thinking of that, but I'm better at adding completed ones, so I would worry that I wouldn't keep it current!!

:) Wendi

Here's my Thinger!

Valeria said...

Your cat looks like she wants to bite my face off.

:D.

I LOVE old heaters <3. They're very antique looking and can keep you toasty, especially when you stick your cheeks right next to it. And when you play your fingers across the vent, it makes a cool metal sound.

Ch'yeah m0n, cool metal sounds be rockin'.

Cathy said...

I probably look at my LT widget more than anyone else. (1) because it annoys me when books show up without a cover when I have it set otherwise, and (2) it reminds me of books I've forgotten I had!

Alyce said...

What a beautiful kitty! I use the good reads widget because I like the looks of it better, but I have gotten behind in adding my books to their database.

katayoun said...

she is a cutie!! and i think the cold is worth living in a beautiful place, especially one with high ceiling!

Ruth King said...

Emmy's cute and clever!

We have heaters like that in our house. It was built in the same time period, and our cats love sitting near the heaters.

Darlene said...

Lenore, I just want to pick Emmy up and bury my face in her fur-she is so precious. I love older buildings and anything antique. However, the downside would be those heating bills. Thanks for sharing Emmy with us again-as you know I look forward to these each week. I should do something like this with my crazy dog-lol.

Luanne said...

We're still heating our house with those "antiques!"

Kelsey said...

I remember those heaters from when I lived in Darmstadt (Near Frankfurt. And I haven't seen a pic of Emmy yet and she is gorgeous! I used to have a Siamese cat, a shorthaired one, but she had to be put down. I've always wanted another one just like your Emmy.

nadine said...

That heater just made me think of my summer in Belgium. I miss Belgium!!!

=/
TruBlu